Author Topic: Renewal time  (Read 915 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Renewal time
« on: 03/15/17 15:53 UTC »
I have a large limb that will get cut out of our oak tomorrow and plan to use some of this wood as a shitaki mushroom bed. My old logs are getting pretty meager in the mushroom department. This time around I am going to use sawdust spawn and cut logs of about 16" diameter. I plan to cut the logs into 8 to 10 inch thick slabs, then press the sawdust spawn into 5/8" holes, seal with wax and then soak in creek water for a day. Then the logs will get stacked vertically, one atop the other with a pair of 1/4" dowels separating the logs. I'm going to make a ground bed for some winecap button mushrooms where the logs will get stacked so I can get a double whammy out of the area.

My old logs provided Ma and I with Shitakis that were large , most in the 8" range but some as large as dinner plates. Absolutely primo eating. The old logs I've had for 6 years so its time to start again. Anyone else grow their own mushies?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
Re: Renewal time
« Reply #1 on: 03/15/17 16:35 UTC »
I have grown them in the basement from a kit and had great results. They were light years ahead of even the fresh store bought mushrooms. The downside is I only got maybe 3 good flushes of mushrooms before the growing media peters out.

I have wanted to try some log beds like you are doing for a long time now but the two best spots are right in my GFs flower beds so those are no fly zones. LOL We have a veggie garden with a 5 foot fence around it to keep the deer out. I was thinking of maybe putting something up to block the sun on the north facing part of the garden to create a shady area to try to grow some Shiitakes or maybe some Oyster mushrooms. I think it might work if I can keep Mad Max ( my GF ) far enough away from the area when she's on the riding lawnmower. Dunno. It may remain another project I have in mind that never gets out of the dream stage.