Author Topic: Paddle tail vs twister style tail  (Read 4394 times)

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Paddle tail vs twister style tail
« on: 03/17/17 20:06 UTC »
Just want to see what most prefer. I tend to like paddle tails myself but do fish grubs also depending on what they are willing to grab.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Re: Paddle tail vs twister style tail
« Reply #1 on: 03/17/17 20:17 UTC »
I lean towards grubs more often than paddle tails. Seem to have more confidence with them.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/17/17 21:33 UTC »
While I carry twisters I seldom use any. I usually will be found with a paddy tied on. Or a stinger-type bait.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 03/17/17 23:42 UTC »
Looking forward to getting the 1.75 & 2.25 Essential paddle tail there just the wright size when the crappie, white bass and eye's are chewing up the young of the year shad.
« Last Edit: 03/18/17 03:57 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/18/17 05:15 UTC »
I like both but usually fish a grub type bait the more often when casting plastic. That 2.25 ES paddle tail should be a good bait up to the Sac dam.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/18/17 06:04 UTC »
I used to use a paddle tail a lot more, but since I found swim shads  I'ver been using them way more than paddle tails.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/18/17 07:37 UTC »
Split tailed minnow baits of 3" to 4" are another favorite of mine that I forgot to add in the previous reply. I carry both power bait and Gulp in the two sizes of minnows and maybe five colors in each size. Like crappies, walleyes will have days where plastic is ok, but these two scented baits are better and usually its one of the two scented baits better than the other.

Mike mentions favoring the swim shad. I fish below a couple of dams on the Mississippi often and when I get near either of them current seams are a great target in water. Fishing these seams is hard to explain other than locating them and fishing straight down along the seam while using an electric motor to stay right on the seam. Fish in the seams will be hitting like a freight train and spend little time adoring the future meal. I use a 3/8 ounce teardrop head with a 4/0 or 5/0 hook on seams using a 4" swim shad so that I can get a lot of motion and noise from the bait. The swim shads are dynamite there for getting the walleye's attention and the larger hooks let those hard smacking fish hook themselves. Paddletails and twisters and minnow baits work in seams but the swim shads make more commotion in the water and in seams I think that is key.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #7 on: 03/18/17 07:45 UTC »
I use a lot of zoom tiny flukes before I started pouring and also didn't include in the swim shad of all sizes, flipping zip and ring it too.
« Last Edit: 03/18/17 07:53 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 03/18/17 08:16 UTC »
Looking forward to getting the 1.75 & 2.25 Essential paddle tail there just the wright size when the crappie, white bass and eye's are chewing up the young of the year shad.

I have both of those molds.  Just got the 1.75 and fished it for the first time yesterday.  Have had the 2,25 for some time now.  Really like them both but man that 1.75 mold-12 baits per injection- I'm talking bulging bait bags in no time.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 03/18/17 08:31 UTC »
Both the 1.75" and 2.25" can be seen in this pic. Both sizes play nice when it comes to making split color baits. Tail colors are a snap. Both of these molds are the simplest of simple to inject and work with.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #10 on: 03/18/17 11:13 UTC »
Sure do like your masterful bait's Tom.

Online billygee

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 03/18/17 12:28 UTC »
"Awsome" ;)

Have to agree with Mike,

is that done with a Dual Injector,
w/a little top dusting of hi-lite then clear dipped
after the eyes are installed ?

billygee   ::)

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 03/18/17 16:01 UTC »
Billy...I made the baits and stuck the eyes on, then I used a small paint brush to brush the hi lites on along the back and finished by giving the clear coat.

The baits were shot in the clear first and then cut to go back in the mold for the top color. These molds won't do a twin injector.
« Last Edit: 03/18/17 16:03 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 03/26/17 15:09 UTC »
Nice baits Tom!!!

Offline Fishermanbt

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 03/26/17 19:41 UTC »
I tend to lean towards the twister tails.  More specifically twin tails. Smallies love them and I found that saltwater fish do too. I just can't seem to get comfortable with a paddle tail. I have been using split tails more as well.