Author Topic: That weren't so hard....  (Read 9091 times)

Offline Carl

• Kicker
Re: That weren't so hard....
« Reply #15 on: 05/10/17 19:02 UTC »
I'm really surprised that this was not made as the smoking shad. Very disappointed.

Offline Carl

• Kicker
« Reply #16 on: 05/11/17 13:14 UTC »
Had one of my machinist modifiy one mold like Tom suggested. Only difference is that I removed the hindge and placed a locater pin. I'm guessing Tom that you need a lower temp to shoot and steady pressure until it sets enough? If this works, I'll send photos.

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #17 on: 05/11/17 15:11 UTC »
Does'nt a twin injector work on a stock mold? Being a single cavity mold can't you just turn the blending block so it will shoot top and bottom?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 05/11/17 15:19 UTC »
It didn't pan out for me. I got a lot of cross over blending.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #19 on: 05/11/17 17:43 UTC »
Thanks Tom, I was just curious, nice work on the mod

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 05/11/17 18:15 UTC »
That was the first injection I tried with the mold D. but the colors ran together too much. Or at least I thought too much. I like a clean, clear split in the two colors. The mod will really lend itself to Efishnc's core work for those who want to chase that avenue, but for me I have three or four split colors that I prefer for my walleye/sauger fishing and the mod will answer to that in a sweet way.

I also tried slicing off the belly section of a couple baits for re-insertion before injecting with a top color and that process was folly.

2xl mentons some flash on one of the two molds he has but I found very, very little while dinking with all the shots I tried including those done after I made the alteration. Flashing was one of my first concerns when I studied the mold because of the very liberal amount of perimeter venting but that concern was un-founded. Some molds fight doing tail colors but this mold gets that job done nicely, again due to the venting.

Its a super bait and a super mold but for a walleye bait I wanted to be able to get the split body colors done with clear separation so I changed the injection format to get it done to my liking is all. Right out of the wrapper this mold and the baits it makes is one of the best of Do-It's designs in my opinion.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #21 on: 05/11/17 19:55 UTC »

I also tried slicing off the belly section of a couple baits for re-insertion before injecting with a top color and that process was folly.

Was thinking the same thing, maybe even have an aluminum "slug" that would fit in the cavity to act as internal laminate plate.
Haven't even gotten my mold yet.
Hoping it will entice Pike.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #22 on: 05/11/17 20:40 UTC »
Was thinking the same thing, maybe even have an aluminum "slug" that would fit in the cavity to act as internal laminate plate.
Haven't even gotten my mold yet.
Hoping it will entice Pike.

I almost made a plaster of paris soup to inject and then let set/dry with the mold closed. This could be sanded down to create that slug to make the belly side of things, then inject the second color for the top/tail. Almost was the key word. If I were to do the "slug" thing though I'd probably do it with casting resin for durability.

Keeping the resin form in the mold the way it'll be wanted will still become a challenge. Things like to move around when the mold gets shuffled around or lifted up when plastic is injected using a piece like this in place.
« Last Edit: 05/12/17 05:09 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Carl

• Kicker
« Reply #23 on: 05/12/17 04:59 UTC »
The modification that Tom suggested works great.  Mold still shoots great and was able to 100% defect free.

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 05/12/17 08:20 UTC »
Does'nt a twin injector work on a stock mold? Being a single cavity mold can't you just turn the blending block so it will shoot top and bottom?

You are correct DF, it does.  I successfully attained clean color separation, using the dual injector, making sure the blending block was oriented correctly to allow the top/bottom flow almost every time while testing this bait.  I've got my rippers all packed up for the MN opener this weekend but I'll see if I can't get some photos up next week!

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #25 on: 05/12/17 09:31 UTC »
And let us know how the fishing opener goes!

Offline Carl

• Kicker
« Reply #26 on: 05/12/17 11:43 UTC »
DF, not sure how that works with a right angle turn.  It's probably possible, just not with my equipment.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #27 on: 05/12/17 12:59 UTC »
Mine did not turn out so hot using the original sprue and runner and lining the block holes up to shoot length-wise. Maybe too much injection force? Did you shoot slow Kyle? I shot mine in pretty quick and the plastic was hot...340 degrees of slightly more.

By the way Kyle....good luck up fishing this weekend.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Do-it Rep

• Lunker
« Reply #28 on: 05/16/17 09:57 UTC »
I shot mine at 360 and injected somewhat on the quicker side.  I lined up 6 molds and shot them right down the line with success on all of them.  In fact,  the photography used on Jordan's post introducing it were dual injections that I shot.

MN opener was a blast, I'll try to get a report up by the end of the day.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #29 on: 05/16/17 10:04 UTC »
I think I found the issue I had Kyle, not related to the mold. I can revert the mod with the JBweld but it works this way too. so no biggie.

What lake were you on Kyle?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they