Author Topic: Katana… ready to go to battle  (Read 618 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Katana… ready to go to battle
« on: 04/09/23 18:50 UTC »
Here’s a dressed up Katana that’s ready to go tangle with a bass. Watermelon green /red flake top, Amber/ black flake belly, fire hot Fluor orange claws. The jig is a 5/16 “S”style bass head finished with watermelon/ red flake Pro-Tec powder coat.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
Re: Katana… ready to go to battle
« Reply #1 on: 04/09/23 20:21 UTC »
Just a question....do you catch a lot of bass on craw baits? If so what, when , and how do you fish them.......haven't had much luck myself with craw baits.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/09/23 20:37 UTC »
I'm new to this bass jig/trailer thing so we'll have to see. I have a spot that we crappie fish that has a ton of smallmouth that hang on the shallow rocks just inshore from the crappies. It seems that anything that gets pushed, pulled, tugged or dragged over those rocks by accident will result in a smallie. So, I am going to intentionally drop this critter in there and try my hand at it. On this particular water crawfish are thick and the bass we catch will often puke up a mess of craws in various stages of decomp, so I know they are eating them. It just seems reasonable that a craw trailer on a jig would work. To be honest, 90% of my bassing is done while the crappies are spawning and then I use swim baits like the 4" Rippers and 4.25" Quakin Shads fished on weighted hooks. I have little experience actually fishing the bass jigs and trailers but I feel confident that the smallies in the area I mentioned will be happy to teach me some tricks. I'll report back after putting this jig to the test.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/10/23 09:04 UTC »
I catch a lot of fish on craw imitations and have experimented with quite a few colors. Let me say this, at times that orange works well and it depends on the body of water as well. That said, more time than not, the largemouth won’t hit it. By all means, fish it try it but if you’re not getting bit go with a single color green pumpkin flake whatever or watermelon.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 04/10/23 09:34 UTC »
I'll be fishing in spring run-off....chocolate. The ice just left the lake so largies are still sleeping, but the smallies are active and they'll hit some orange. 3" Rippers in motor oil or amber with an orange tail works great on smallies all thru the warm water period up here, but the waters are always stained heavily.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/10/23 22:02 UTC »
I'll be fishing in spring run-off....chocolate. The ice just left the lake so largies are still sleeping, but the smallies are active and they'll hit some orange. 3" Rippers in motor oil or amber with an orange tail works great on smallies all thru the warm water period up here, but the waters are always stained heavily.

Gotcha Tom. We get some dirty off colored water sometimes in our waters but for the most part relatively clear in the highland lakes I fish. So our bass get a pretty good look at bait and prey.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 04/11/23 10:49 UTC »
AP....we took 4 nice smallies off a rock wall with this rig this morning. Very shallow bite. Water still quite cold at 44 degrees but the smallies were happy to hit the jig/trailer.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they