Author Topic: Spincasting plastic  (Read 844 times)

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
Spincasting plastic
« on: 08/01/20 16:23 UTC »
So I had this round mold made a couple of years ago. I just recently got a spincasting setup for casting jigs which uses round silicone molds for spinning the heads. Well I just had to try it. And it works like a dream! The best part is no clamping. The machine does that for you. The trick is to not pour too much plastic in. I spun this pile of Hellgrammite bodies up in just a few minutes. I doubt it will replace my injectors but it’s still a neat experience.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Spincasting plastic
« Reply #1 on: 08/01/20 18:26 UTC »
hawgthumper sweet mold and nice bait’s too.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 08/01/20 18:38 UTC »
hawgthumper sweet mold and nice bait’s too.
Thank you WW!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 08/01/20 18:58 UTC »
I had a spin caster for making my 1/32 and 1/16 ounce jigs. Really something to load a mold with hooks and pour in a cup of molten lead and have perfect heads. I was making 5000 of each size in a casting session that was about 4 hours long. Sprues came off with a simply flick of a finger.

All the tax laws and fees associated with making fishing tackle for volume sales got to be a hassle so I sold the machine.

The spin caster was used for making custom jewelry and I got it for a song. When I cleaned the unit up I got enough silver and gold crumbs out of it to pay for it about 4 times over. lol And it made for a half profitable little enterprise for a few years.

I've often though that for plastics a spin caster would be a slick rig, you've proven it. Nice job.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 08/01/20 19:17 UTC »
So I had this round mold made a couple of years ago. I just recently got a spincasting setup for casting jigs which uses round silicone molds for spinning the heads. Well I just had to try it. And it works like a dream! The best part is no clamping. The machine does that for you. The trick is to not pour too much plastic in. I spun this pile of Hellgrammite bodies up in just a few minutes. I doubt it will replace my injectors but it’s still a neat experience.
[/quote Man i'd like to have one myself for both plastics & lead. I also see the green  hobby lobby glitter laying there that you need to send on down to kentucky for  me. lol

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 08/02/20 17:42 UTC »
I had a spin caster for making my 1/32 and 1/16 ounce jigs. Really something to load a mold with hooks and pour in a cup of molten lead and have perfect heads. I was making 5000 of each size in a casting session that was about 4 hours long. Sprues came off with a simply flick of a finger.

All the tax laws and fees associated with making fishing tackle for volume sales got to be a hassle so I sold the machine.

The spin caster was used for making custom jewelry and I got it for a song. When I cleaned the unit up I got enough silver and gold crumbs out of it to pay for it about 4 times over. lol And it made for a half profitable little enterprise for a few years.

I've often though that for plastics a spin caster would be a slick rig, you've proven it. Nice job.
Thanks Tom

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 08/02/20 18:14 UTC »
Pretty cool operation hawgthumper.

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 08/02/20 20:05 UTC »
Pretty cool operation hawgthumper.
Thanks