Author Topic: Wax Wiggler woes  (Read 10509 times)

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Re: Wax Wiggler woes
« Reply #30 on: 09/13/17 06:26 UTC »
There is a big difference between all the air not being purged from the mold as you inject (the air is purged via the vents) and having air and bubbles IN your plastic when you inject.

Do you notice big bubbles (not microbubbles) in your plastic before you inject?

If the plastic did not get completely mixed just one time...you can jack the chemistry and end up with bubbles, sticky baits etc. with the remaining plastic in the container.

100% agreement here.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #31 on: 09/13/17 19:48 UTC »
I have shot these baits in a lot of different colors but mostly red , white and black. The dimples occur on all the colors I have tried. The funny thing is that it doesn't happen every time I shoot that mold. By that I mean I will shoot a mold or two and have dimples then the next shot I get all good baits and it goes back and forth like that. Like with the white ones I posted a picture of. I shot that mold 6 or 7 times but only got one batch of good baits. Thinking that since I set my mold on a flat surface I though I would elevate the mold about a quarter inch to MAKE SURE the nothing was potentially blocking the vent holes. I thought ALRIGHT ! I got it figured out at last. So I did the same thing three more times and ended up with dimpled baits.

The dimples appear on the baits on the lower row of baits especially toward the end .... I think. The dimples usually appear on one side of the bait but sometimes they show up on both sides. If it were bubbles in my plastic then I would think the dimples would be more random but they are fairly consistent in where they show up. It could very well be something I am doing wrong but for the life of me I can't figure what that would be. I don't have these issues with other small baits I shoot. I fished this bait a LOT last winter and it has become my go to plastic bait for panfish. That bait has made a believer out of a few of my friends who have fished it too. I'd love to get this figured out before the snow flies so I can stockpile a bunch of these baits for me and the boys for the upcoming ice season.

Thanks again for all the input.

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #32 on: 09/14/17 00:33 UTC »
I'm just gonna throw this out there as I don't believe it's been mentioned. Have you checked out the condition/fit of your o rings in your injector? Those need to fit right and be in good shape or you can draw air into your injector as you draw plastic from your cup. If you put your finger over your nozzle and pull the plunger, you shouldn't get any air passing by the o rings. Pull the plunger back and release it and it should return back to the bottom of the injector tube. Don't let it slam back as that could damage your injector. Since you've tried a lot of stuff, I'm just throwing this one out there. Might as well take a look. If you are getting some bypass, as long as the orings are in decent shape, you can tighten the fit by removing the o rings and putting a couple rounds of Teflon tape in the groove and reinstalling the o rings.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #33 on: 09/14/17 04:44 UTC »
AP has a valid idea here, but I still am convinced that if the bait cavities stood vertically instead of angled in the mold the issue would not exist. I think that as plastic goes into the cavities the small areas of restriction between the body segments is where the air is getting trapped within each segment. There isn't a lot of plastic in the segments and it will cool in a blink so any air caught in there is a dimple. There is no venting to void air in what is the top of those segments behind the restricted areas as that "waist is lower than the top of the inside of the segment....at least that is how I see it. I think that the intermittent full filling happens when things are "super right" and that air is voided during the injection, but this would also include having an injector that is fully sealing as per AP's observation.

As I mentioned before, I have one mold that balked a bit occasionally yet the other couple are clean injectors and all molds are shot clamped together one right after the other and only the one has ever been iffy, but is no longer with a little air relief help. I haven't touched an o-ring in my primary injector ever so I don't feel that it has been a part of it at all. That's not to say that X2 hasn't got a minor air issue in his. My primary injector is NOT a Do-It injector, however my twin injector is and I had an o-ring issue in one of the cylinders of it not all that long ago that was letting air into cavities and re-ringing it took care of the problem. Rather than dimples the problem I encountered was that the good cylinder would force an air lock on the bad cylinder so colors would not flow properly.

These things can get challenging to sort out, but they're also frustrating for everyone too, especially the crew making the molds. The crew in the shop are top notch....they'll get it figured out.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #34 on: 09/14/17 04:55 UTC »
I use the same injector Tom does. In fact I have two of them. The thought did cross my mind that there may be an issue with the injector. I primarily use the one injector most of the time so I switched to the other lesser used injector but got the same results with the baits. I do have replacement O rings so I may just replace one and see if that helps. My guess is it won't but it's worth a try. I would love to get right on this but I just don't have time to mess with it. Unless I get a rain day I won't be able to play with this stuff until the weekend after next.

Another thought I had was to put thin film of worm oil in the cavities to see if that would help. Doing that has helped me with a couple other finicky molds I have. I have an idea that this too won't help but it's worth a try as well.

Tom you may be onto something with the cavities not being vertical. Then again, others are getting good baits with the same ? mold so who knows.

Thanks for the ideas.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #35 on: 09/14/17 05:23 UTC »
"Tom you may be onto something with the cavities not being vertical. Then again, others are getting good baits with the same ?"...X2

Even though these molds are cut on machines of precision, every mold made can have its own little nuances that make it a challenge. A very minute burr or a .001" deviation at the wrong place can be a real headache. How many times has a mold worked absolutely flawlessly then all of a sudden you get flashing when you never changed a thing in your injection practice? Only to find a tiny piece of flattened plastic, hardly even visible, in the area of the flashing that encompasses 3/4 of the mold face. It doesn't take much to throw a chink in the machinery of the injection process.

The mold in question is a popular mold with us small bait guys and I'm sure there are a bunch on work benches that are flawless in use. When I lay my set of molds out open on the bench in excellent light they all look the same to me, yet one has an issue that I had to address. I cannot see the deviation in it, but have concluded that one or two exist that had created a problem. What I did to the mold took care of the problem so I have to believe that my observations with that particular mold were spot on. Whether the issue you have is the same I can't say, I just know how sometimes some very minute difference can throw a huge wrench in the function of some stuff.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #36 on: 09/14/17 09:52 UTC »
but I still am convinced that if the bait cavities stood vertically instead of angled in the mold the issue would not exist.
Tom you mentioned this once before but I'm a bit confused when your talking about the cavities being "angled"?
Maybe a picture of what your talking about.
The Wax wiggler mold I have has cavities vertical if the opening is on top.

Offline Steve J

• Kicker
« Reply #37 on: 09/14/17 10:23 UTC »

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #38 on: 09/14/17 18:33 UTC »
OK.
Had a bit of a brain cramp in regards to the wax wiggler being vertical. I guess I never paid attention to the mold that close.
But I have another brand of mold that I use and they are horizontal.
« Last Edit: 09/14/17 18:38 UTC by MT204 »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #39 on: 09/14/17 18:37 UTC »
Not to nit-pik MT, but that would be horizontal in the other mold. :P

Slow here today, so never mind me.

On another note regarding the dimples....I never have seen ay in any of my molds in the small baits.
« Last Edit: 09/14/17 18:38 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #40 on: 09/14/17 18:39 UTC »
Not to nit-pik MT, but that would be horizontal in the other mold. :P

Slow here today, so never mind me.

On another note regarding the dimples....I never have seen ay in any of my molds in the small baits.
Corrected.
It's been a long day.
The wax wiggler was my first mold that got me started in this great hobby/addiction.
Thanks Mark
« Last Edit: 09/14/17 18:43 UTC by MT204 »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #41 on: 09/14/17 19:44 UTC »
I have a nephew in West Yellowstone, MT that guides on a lake there. He ice fishes in the national park lakes where he has to pack in a couple miles and I keep him in plastics. The wax wigglers really flip his switch late this last winter....already leaning on me for this winter's supply. Great bait, great mold. Making the two sizes simultaneously is a big plus too.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline weltzing63

• Keeper
« Reply #42 on: 02/12/18 19:10 UTC »
2XL, did you ever fix this mold? If so, please send pictures of what you modified!! I have been having the same issues and I am to the point of modifying my mold.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #43 on: 02/12/18 22:22 UTC »
I have 2xl’s wiggler mold and am working on a fix for it. When I finish my tinkering I’ll get it back to him and he can share the fix with ya’ll.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they