Author Topic: Do it molds to produce effective pompano surf jigs  (Read 5962 times)

Offline cyprian10

• Minnow
Any opinions or experience on Do it molds with which to produce effective pompano surf jigs. Ideally must have sufficiently strong hooks and not topple over if the retrieve is slowed or stopped.

Thanks

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
Re: Do it molds to produce effective pompano surf jigs
« Reply #1 on: 01/28/21 17:20 UTC »
The Sparkie mold works well. I only wish there were more weights in the smaller sizes, but still a good mold for pomps.

I've also modified the older buzzbait molds in 1/8 & 1/4 oz to make "flats" type jigs. My primary interest was to use them for Redfish, but am sure they'll work for Pompano too.

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 02/03/21 08:16 UTC »
I second the Sparkie.  Its a classic style for that application. 
Marc

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 03/30/21 13:35 UTC »
Also, If you are fishing Pomps you are probably familiar with the Doc's Goofy Jig.  You can make those with the Do It SWM jig mold.  I found a heavier saltwater hook to fit in the mold.

Marc

Offline Chimpo

• Minnow
« Reply #4 on: 02/25/22 09:52 UTC »
Also, If you are fishing Pomps you are probably familiar with the Doc's Goofy Jig.  You can make those with the Do It SWM jig mold.  I found a heavier saltwater hook to fit in the mold.

Marc

What hook did you find for saltwater?  I've been looking myself, and I can't find anything that looks like the Eagle Claw 2190.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/25/22 10:26 UTC »
I won't be much help with the hooks but I can say welcome to the Do-It forums Chimpo!https://store.do-itmolds.com/Eagle-Claw-413-60-Degree-OShaugnessy-Jig-HookbrTinned-1000-_p_353.html

Will these help?    https://store.do-itmolds.com/Eagle-Claw-413-60-Degree-OShaugnessy-Jig-HookbrTinned-1000-_p_353.html
« Last Edit: 02/25/22 10:29 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast