Author Topic: 4.25” Quakin Shad  (Read 641 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
4.25” Quakin Shad
« on: 09/23/22 16:19 UTC »
At our last trip to the river mid-week we found the water temps coming down pretty good. 8 degrees in two days. We also noted that our old stand-by, the 4” Ripper, showed less promise. After an hour of short hits I decided to hang a Pro Blue/red pearl Qualin Shad on a lighter weighted hook and that switch was met immediately with results. Nothing huge for fish but 1-1/2 to 2 pound bass, a couple pike and a. Perch about 13” smacked it. After an hour we both were tossing the Qualin number in three different color combos seen in the picture.

With the cooler water we checked to see if the crappies were moving back into the area but the water is too warm for them yet plus we need rain to spark some current in the backwaters.

Fall is a great time to fish but conditions change so fast it can be tough to stay abreast of what’s working. Thankfully I had those Quakin baits to make the shift. All three colors shown got fish with the blue glitter getting the larger bass and pike.
« Last Edit: 09/24/22 09:01 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
Re: 4.25” Qualin Shad
« Reply #1 on: 09/23/22 23:33 UTC »
Very nice looking baits Tom.

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
Re: 4.25” Qualin Shad
« Reply #2 on: 09/24/22 06:49 UTC »
  I've been using them for chatter bait trailers. It's a fish catcher for sure.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: 4.25” Quakin Shad
« Reply #3 on: 09/24/22 09:11 UTC »
On bright days that blue/green/purple glitter mix in clear over clear silver glitter is a pike magnet in any bait we throw. The pro blue/red pearl is almost as good on clear days but really shines when there's some overcast. The watermelon over clear with silver glitter is good anytime as a rule. The wood under the baits in the picture really stops a lot of light thru them and cancels a lot of the pretty they have.

I was going to try doing some chatterbaits but after pricing the components I decided to just buy one and give it a go. Where we fish the large pike on Lake Pepin during the heat of summer a white chatter bait seems to be a great bait.... unless I have one tied on. lol So I vacated that adventure. I'll have to impress upon my buddy to hang a Quakin Shad from his next season to see if it helps up his catch rate.

Pretty sure when I get back from vacation that the river will have dropped some more temp and maybe the fall walleyes will begin to pop on plastics. I've got a bunch of the Essential baits done up in walleye colors and itching to go fishing.... Slick Shiners and Wave Worms primarily.
« Last Edit: 09/24/22 09:14 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast