Author Topic: Vibe baits  (Read 769 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Vibe baits
« on: 06/17/22 10:52 UTC »
I got a bunch of these vibe bait blanks last winter about the time the Artic set in and never got back to them. I did a couple up but after the cold took the big bite they sort of fell into limbo. Yesterday I got a new Ultra color shift in the mail called "Aloha" and after doing the top coat clear blended with this pigment I can see why the name fits....man this stuff is exotic. I couldn't get the lighting to cooperate but this pigment is purple, fuscia, gold, green and hints of blue. After trying for ten minutes to get the pigment to work in a picture for me I noticed the sides and decided to use this picture.

This pigment is beautiful used with the other colors. The other colors, by the way, are all Do-It Bait Blast colors. The blanks were first given a coat of white then a coat of Go-To Pearl. The chartreuse was thinned down a bit and a light coat applied to the bellies, then a quick shot of Flame red was put on the flat at the front bottom of the baits. Transparent purple was shot over the backs and feathered down the sides. Basic black was thinned wayyyyy down and a light coat put on the tops and some feathering allowed down the sides with the purple. The final coat was clear thinned well and the Aloha pigment stirred in. The clear was applied on the entire bait with four more light coats across the very tops. I'll note that each coat was heat set in every color.

I think these 2" baits will be dynamic for vertically jigged walleyes. They might even catch a Laker next week.
« Last Edit: 10/09/22 08:43 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Vibe baits
« Reply #1 on: 06/17/22 15:21 UTC »
Here are a couple more done in a baby bass. The bellies are actually a soft lemon yellow pearl and the upper sides are a smoky watermelon topped with a thin black then clear coated with a color shift called Kiwi-Rose. The gree portion of the pigment is fairly easy to see here. If the baits got lowered to the shade they'd show the rosy colored backs.

There's so much relection going on in the closer bait that it is really tough to get an idea of what is happening with the colors. The bait on the left better represents the real colors but the one on the right is getting the full shot of sun and is just plain electric.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 06/17/22 17:52 UTC »
I like those last two done in baby bass. Bait Blast has a new line of transparent paints coming out, have you used any of those yet?

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/17/22 18:45 UTC »
I had a small sample of a couple colors and they are very nice.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 06/18/22 05:59 UTC »
Very nice.