Author Topic: How on earth???  (Read 2657 times)

Offline knorstu

• Minnow
How on earth???
« on: 08/11/19 18:14 UTC »
Hi. Just tried to pour up some Diner Shiner jigs. Had no issue with the pour but how on earth do you guys get the tiny plastic keeper put in place? I had to give up on it. I wouldn't live long enough to get that put in place. I'll have to use super glue. Much faster. :)

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
Re: How on earth???
« Reply #1 on: 08/11/19 18:22 UTC »

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 08/11/19 20:27 UTC »
I put the hook in first and once you get use to placing the keeper it goes fairly fast.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline gone2long

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 08/12/19 12:06 UTC »
Hi. Just tried to pour up some Diner Shiner jigs. Had no issue with the pour but how on earth do you guys get the tiny plastic keeper put in place? I had to give up on it. I wouldn't live long enough to get that put in place. I'll have to use super glue. Much faster. :)

Gel super glue was my answer

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 08/18/19 22:25 UTC »
I use a small paint brush with the tip cut flat and push it in after the hook is on the mold.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 08/19/19 06:52 UTC »
First off, welcome aboard knorstu.

Second, practice makes perfect. I know this sound cliché' but its the truth when working the small pieces. Walleye Wacker has the best solution as the hooks themselves act as a guide for getting the keepers aligned properly and once set in their track they will not move when the mold is closed. Andrew suggests using the small paint brush modified to help adjust them once they are set in but need a nudge to get just right, while a toothpick might be a good tool to use too. Don't use super glue unless you want to deal with a bigger headache.

Honestly once you develop a pattern or system of laying in the hooks and the wires and have worked it a while things will move along nicely. It just takes time and patience. Those little Diner Shiner heads with the wires will reward you well if you take time to develop a system and practice, practice, practice.   
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast