Author Topic: Trying things  (Read 1157 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Trying things
« on: 09/03/20 10:08 UTC »
A couple weeks ago we did a quicky run to the cabin for a coupe days and I managed to get out on the breakwater for a couple hours. The tube bite had begun a little so I made up some tubes with pearl/purple pearl as a half body. I fish tubes with an insert using a treble hook and they do very well on Lakers when plastics start taking off. I made up three of this combo before leaving since I have really good success on Lakers with deep diving Yozuri stick baits in purple over pearl. I was fishing with a couple buddies from Two Harbors and on the third cast I hooked into something heavy while tossing one of these tubes. After about six or seven minutes we got a peek at the fish, just before it broke off. Maybe a 10-12 pound fish.

It came time for me to boogie so I left the other two of these baits with the guys to fish and after getting home I got a call that a couple days after I lost my fish one of the guys nailed one in the 18 pound range using the same pearl/purple pearl half body plastic so I hit the shop this morning and whipped up a half dozen for the next trip. I had to make up a couple more inserts too. New line is going on the reel this afternoon and some extra ball bearing swivels snaps will get picked up. Hopefully the bite will hold together another couple weeks as we're heading back for a bit in that time frame.

I guess it always helps to put a picture with a post, huh?
« Last Edit: 09/04/20 07:41 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Trying things
« Reply #1 on: 09/03/20 10:26 UTC »
Tom it’s nice when you hit it right and with the right combo.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 09/03/20 22:45 UTC »
Bummer  hopefully you get him next time.  I lost a darned nice Crappie earlier this year and I'm still trying to figure out how in the heck he got loose as I set the hook good enough to get him in.  I am wondering if maybe it ripped out of its mouth as I've learned the mouth is soft on them.  Anyways hope you get him on the next trip out...tight lines

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 09/04/20 13:01 UTC »
Really enjoy the way your colors always pop TOM  8)
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN