Author Topic: Ice jig  (Read 2685 times)

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Ice jig
« on: 11/15/20 02:56 UTC »
Wonder if there is any plans to coming up with something for ice fishing. I use the 1/64-1/32 shad dart and the collarless round head in the same weights with great success but would like to see something different. The larva and crappie jig are two others that work
« Last Edit: 11/15/20 06:02 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
Re: Ice jig
« Reply #1 on: 11/16/20 00:31 UTC »
Wonder if there is any plans to coming up with something for ice fishing. I use the 1/64-1/32 shad dart and the collarless round head in the same weights with great success but would like to see something different. The larva and crappie jig are two others that work

The collarless lead heads work well on a lot of the plastics I shoot. I found when fishing deep water moving the smaller hook up a spot On the mold works well. Gives a little more weight to get the drop down.

It be nice to see another mold style. When a guy uses 1-2# line panfishing the dang bass like to break a guy off.
« Last Edit: 11/17/20 00:03 UTC by Agronomist_at_ia »

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 11/16/20 00:33 UTC »
Here are some more
« Last Edit: 11/17/20 00:02 UTC by Agronomist_at_ia »

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 11/16/20 00:35 UTC »
Check
« Last Edit: 11/17/20 00:04 UTC by Agronomist_at_ia »

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 11/16/20 05:31 UTC »
Hear yeah on the 1 & 2 lbs. test just thought there would be more interest in the subject than there has been given how many people live we’re there is ice for part of the year.

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 11/16/20 22:10 UTC »
Hear yeah on the 1 & 2 lbs. test just thought there would be more interest in the subject than there has been given how many people live we’re there is ice for part of the year.

Well it isn't even just ice specific........it's more about having a size being able to catch sunfish/panfish.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #6 on: 11/17/20 01:10 UTC »
There all year round bait’s also all the jigs I use to date are used all year at some point or another when it comes to the panfish size.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 11/17/20 04:10 UTC »
Those look like they would be killer trout rigs as well AG.
« Last Edit: 11/17/20 16:14 UTC by Lines »

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 11/17/20 08:01 UTC »
Those look like they would killer trout rigs as well AG.

I've spent a lot of money feeding trout small jigs on real light line over the years. lol
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 11/22/20 00:26 UTC »
Just looking. If they would just take the tapered tube jig and make a mold with the sizes 1/80, 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 like the collarless round head jigs that take Hk: 570 or 575. But trim the bottom of the mold so you could put a larger/smaller hook size in it I think it would make a great ice jig. Smaller hook in it would make just an ice jig. A larger hook would make a jig for a plastic to be added. Wouldn't think it would take all that much.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 11/22/20 07:04 UTC »
There are some interesting tungsten item found here : https://lifefly.aliexpress.com/store/group/Tungsten-Beads-Heads/610947_254706934.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.a242455bsd61bO

I'm going to round up a couple sizes of the tungsten heads to epoxy on Lil Nastys. I really like the idea of smaller head size/heavier weight for dock fishing.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 11/24/20 11:34 UTC »
I played around with the bat jig mold last night. I took a small hook I use for the crappie mold jig, and bent it at the eye a touch. Was able to get it to fit in the 1/32 bat jig spot. The eye doesn't sit flat....it sits sideways in the mold spot for the hook eye. I was able to get the mold closed and poured without any flash coming out.

When powder painting with with a solid color, it covers up the lead nice and looks pretty decent. I think I've got a small enough hook that the gills can suck it in.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 11/24/20 13:59 UTC »
I've played a lot with the Bat head and with a forward eye as you have  the jig will not hang horizontal when  ice fishing. I changed my mold to take the lil nasty hooks and left the hook alone to present horizontally. They work great off the docks while jigging piligings so thru the ice they should be sweet but I do not ice fish.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 11/25/20 16:08 UTC »
I would like to get the Bat mold but the hook it takes I don't care for.  I would get it if I  was good enough to do what ctom did so it would  except using the lil nasty hooks. 

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 11/25/20 16:41 UTC »
Shaun, here's the bat head after I got rid of the stub collar and added a 570 style hook. Seen here is the 1/32 head with a #8 Lil Nasty Eagle Claw hook. I fish these off the dock while jigging pilings and do great with them when I add plastic.

These balance out beautifully with wax wigglers. I also have done this size with a #10 Lil Nasty but feel the #8 gets hooked up better.
« Last Edit: 11/25/20 16:43 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they