Author Topic: Nice natural bait  (Read 2093 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Nice natural bait
« on: 04/29/20 11:26 UTC »
Based on the 2 1/4" Small Fry, I twin injected this, some with chartreuse tails and the rest plain. These turned out really nice. On my last fishing excursion where I kept a few for dinner I took time to open up the stomachs and a couple of the crappies and found minnows inside that were maybe just short of these Fry baits. The freshest minnows thaey'd eaten seemed to be quite pale, not a great deal of strong colors that fat heads normally show so I thought what the heck, lets make some baits.

The back color is a 4 ounce batch of medium smoke with nickel sized chunk of my purple plastic in it to give the smoke a bit of color depth. The belly color, and this is interesting, is simply plain plastic with a pretty good dollop of Do-Its regular pearl powder. While the picture doesn't show it at this angle the bellies are almost a pink pearl. Weird. And by turning the baits slightly they go from what you see to a plain, medium smoke.

There are no color shifting pearls used here but one would think they were when these baits are in motion. I'm thinking they'll trip some triggers with the crappies.

There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Nice natural bait
« Reply #1 on: 04/29/20 12:17 UTC »
They should get the job done there Tom.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline cc1

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 04/29/20 12:46 UTC »
Very nice

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #3 on: 04/30/20 09:57 UTC »
Tom, they look great! Have you ever tried something like that in watermelon, green pumpkin or black colors, maybe with pearl belly's? I ask because when I was a kid, I caught & used tadpoles for bait, and those remind me of them. The tadpoles varied some in color, but most were dark green to black in color and some had light belly's. 

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 04/30/20 12:28 UTC »
I think I've done this bait in every color imaginable. never get tired of the possibilities it holds both in color and in techniques.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline DF

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/30/20 18:31 UTC »
 Great work ctom, you do magic with this mold.

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 05/01/20 07:27 UTC »
Looks awesome.