Author Topic: Clean jig eyes using shrink tube  (Read 8513 times)

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Clean jig eyes using shrink tube
« on: 06/14/17 10:51 UTC »
I admit I am "clean eye challenged" when powder painting jigs. I've tried a variety of pliers to cover the eyes which work fairly well...IF there is enough room in the jar or fluid bed. But...!

I've been testing using shrink tube over the eye of the hook which shrinks around the eye as I'm heating the jig to put into the powder paint. After applying the powder paint and a quick dip in water to cool the jig,  the shrink tube is still soft enough to quickly scrape/pull off with my finger nail. The jig in the picture is the Do-it Shake It jig with screw lock. I love using this jig with 4.5" and 6" worms and creature baits.

http://store.do-itmolds.com/Shake-It-Jig-wScrew-LocbrSz-116-18-316-14-516-38brHk-604brCollar-None_p_725.html

I make sure there is a small gap between the tube and the jig. The closes up even more when the tubing shrinks around the eye.

Ready for the oven with perfectly clean eyes!! The rack is the "jig clamps" from http://www.tjstackle.com/  A MUST HAVE!!!

« Last Edit: 06/14/17 10:53 UTC by andrewlamberson »
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
Re: Clean jig eyes using shrink tube
« Reply #1 on: 06/14/17 11:08 UTC »
Great info.  I've been thinking about trying to keep the paint out of the eyes because that powder can be a pain to clean out.  I think I'm going to try this next time I paint. Thanks for sharing.

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 06/14/17 11:31 UTC »
Just don't get the heat shrink tubing with the adhesive.   

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/14/17 14:58 UTC »
  Nifty idea. When making shaky heads I just use a fluid bed and a fast swish. Rarely do I have eyes close up on me.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #4 on: 06/14/17 23:21 UTC »
Leave it to the smart guys to come up with simple solutions.  Thanks Andy (and Lamar).
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 06/15/17 13:24 UTC »
I use the heat shrink method as well, but I do not dip on water.  I have a pliers dedicated for pulling the heat shrink right after powder painting and the spent heat shrink goes in the trash.  My cost per jig on the heat shrink is less than a quarter of one cent this way.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 06/15/17 14:07 UTC »
Do you guys have a good source to buy the heat shrink in bulk?

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 06/15/17 15:57 UTC »
Ebay!  Cheap!

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 06/15/17 17:01 UTC »
Cool. I HATE paint in my jig eyes. What size is that shrink tube ? 1/8" ?

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 06/15/17 18:04 UTC »
I use 1/8inch.  Most heat shrink tubing will shrink to 50% its size.

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 06/15/17 18:33 UTC »
Awesome thanks. I'm gonna get me some.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 06/15/17 18:42 UTC »
Thanks. I just ordered some. LOL

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 06/15/17 18:45 UTC »
I used 3mm which is approximately 1/8 mm which is approximately 1/8 inch.

It was a bit of a tight fit on the 5/0 hooks, easy on for the 3/0  Mustad 32798 BLN
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline superharmonix

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 06/15/17 21:42 UTC »
...and here's a link to a thread a couple months ago on more of this:  http://custombaits.com/index.php?topic=9846.msg76286#msg76286

If anyone wants to just try it first before buying 100 or 500 or 1000 feet from ebay, you can go down to your local hardware store and buy a small amount.  I found the easiest and fastest way to be to use a heat gun for heating the jig, then the jig with the heat shrink, then dip in powderpaint, then pull off spent heat shrink, done.  My heat gun hasa hard time standing up right, so I simply clamp the bottom of it to point where I want.

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 06/16/17 01:18 UTC »
Good stuff there andrew.  Would one of those racks fit in a small toaster oven?  Might have to pick me up one of those.  Any idea of shrink tubing size id need for the 570 hook eyes? Its definitely getting old having to get that paint off the eyes while im powder coating.