Author Topic: Carrots  (Read 10514 times)

Offline fisheye59

• Minnow
Re: Carrots
« Reply #15 on: 01/07/17 21:54 UTC »
Great looking baits, I'm just getting into doing my own baits and the 2.5 carrot is my 1st mold. If I may ask a question, I'm wanting to try the 2 colors like you have done with the tail and body. Question is did you shoot the tail first then take it out of the mold cut the body off and put the tail back in and then shoot the top part of the body. Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 01/07/17 23:22 UTC »
Several ways to do two/three color carrots and all are simple. You can shoot a couple molds full of, say chartreuse, to use for cutting the tail sections off, maybe 3/4" in length, then re-insert the tail pieces in the mold and re-shot it using a second color. Tail color baits are super productive.

You can use a lamination plate and inject it to get half baits that you leave in the mold, remove the lam plate, close the mold and inject the second, or top, color. Split colors like these are again real popular and productive. Simple aluminum foil can be sandwiched between the mold halves to create your own lam plate alternative, then finish with the second injection.  A twin injector can do the same thing but may be a bit fussier to use if you don't have a lot of shooting time behind you. The twin injection makes a remarkably nice bait.

You could do a tail color followed by the body color, then split the resultant bait lengthwise in half, re-insert the half baits that are two color and inject a third color the full length. You could do a two color split using the lamination plate, then split those baits length-wise and re-shoot with a third color.

Get a little practice under your belt then you can try some line colors. All sorts of possibilities from that 2 21/2" mold.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline fisheye59

• Minnow
« Reply #17 on: 01/08/17 00:44 UTC »
Thanks ctom I ordered a lamination plate for the mold the other day so it should be showing up soon,but I'm not sure about what you are saying on splitting the bait to get the thrid color. It doesnt seem you would have enough room for the thrid color to flow in between them unless you leave one side low. Can you show and example. Thanks

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 01/08/17 07:55 UTC »
Hand pouring each side leaving each slightly under-filled and closing the mold and injecting the third color thru the center is another option. When I mentioned splitting a color for a third color I was being literal. Use a plate to make a two color bait, then cut that bait in half length-wise at 90 degrees to the two colors,  putting one of the pieces back in the mold, then shoot in the third color, filling the half of the bait that's missing. You'll end up with a bait that's half one color and a quarter each in the two colors.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #19 on: 01/08/17 08:20 UTC »
I use the 1.75" carrot for a tail mold.  Makes life easy.  Since I used a tail as a different color I dual injected the top and body onto it.  I used a laminate plate aka aluminum foil to shoot the pumpkin seed/chartreuse, black/chartreuse and blue/pearl baits I also have posted.  Since then I ordered the laminate plate for this mold. 

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 01/08/17 10:02 UTC »
Great idea on using the smaller bait as a tail mold. I really like the transition area between the colors. The way the bait is rounded at the end helps it transaction nicely instead of the straight cut line.

Offline Steve J

• Kicker
« Reply #21 on: 01/08/17 10:05 UTC »
Thump.
 Do you fish the tail horizontal or vertical?

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #22 on: 01/08/17 12:57 UTC »
I fish the tail horizontally.

Here is another dandy one.

« Last Edit: 01/09/17 06:34 UTC by Thump Huntin »

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #23 on: 01/08/17 13:08 UTC »
Fixed my carrot mold today and it finally pours a complete body when shooting a body onto tail. Simply took a razor knife and sliced 4 slits into the last two cavities off the mold. Two on each side of mold.

« Last Edit: 01/09/17 06:35 UTC by Thump Huntin »

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 01/08/17 13:11 UTC »
You really make some nice looking stuff Thump.

Offline fisheye59

• Minnow
« Reply #25 on: 01/08/17 18:55 UTC »
OK ctom I see what you are doing now and that makes sence and might be easyer for me to do for the 1st time out. If i can let me ask you this, when you do it that way do you always work toward the vented side of the mold or does it matter witch side you put the bait back in on.    Thump I was wondering how you got such a clean line between the two colors. I was trying to blow the picture up on my iphone to see the cut line and couldn't, then i thought maybe you had dipped them. It's like putting a cap over a tooth. I can see now that i have a lot of options with the carrot. Sorry for the 2 responses in the one post my wife was beating to get the rest of the Christmas stuff down. Again thanks for all the info.

Offline Thump Huntin

• Kicker
« Reply #26 on: 01/08/17 19:49 UTC »
Thump I was wondering how you got such a clean line between the two colors. I was trying to blow the picture up on my iphone to see the cut line and couldn't, then i thought maybe you had dipped them.
I use the 1.75" carrot for a tail mold and then place it in the 2.5" mold and shoot a body onto it.

« Last Edit: 01/09/17 06:43 UTC by Thump Huntin »

Offline fisheye59

• Minnow
« Reply #27 on: 01/08/17 22:26 UTC »
Looks like I will have to get the small carrot mold because those baits are unbelievable the more I keep looking  at them.

Offline Steve J

• Kicker
« Reply #28 on: 01/09/17 06:02 UTC »
Anyone know why I can't open pics?

Offline Mike J

• Lunker
« Reply #29 on: 01/09/17 06:26 UTC »
I can see the original pics but the last ones are just a circle with a white dash in it.