Author Topic: like catching fish on new designs!  (Read 594 times)

Offline senkosam

• Keeper
like catching fish on new designs!
« on: 06/21/21 02:48 UTC »
The French Fry stick has been around a while:

I never use soft stick much but figured - why not use a section of one for the body and attach various tails?
I don't know why they catch fish, but they do!
Here a Joker Tail was added to one:

Took a claw from a craw worm lure and attached it:

Added this thin tail to one:

I added a curl tail to another but would need to search for the photos.

Every time I've used these lures, they've caught fish. I have no idea why the flat body works better than round grub bodies, but they seem to.
« Last Edit: 07/31/21 03:52 UTC by senkosam »

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
Re: like catching fish on new designs!
« Reply #1 on: 06/21/21 06:44 UTC »
I formerly used the fry for the majority of my wacky rigging (yet the corners where the o-rings contacted it were consistently a point of failure)... like you, I believed the square corners likely put some unique vibrations in the water (giving me additional confidence) and  I caught plenty of nice fish on it.

Offline senkosam

• Keeper
« Reply #2 on: 06/21/21 11:39 UTC »
Guess fish strike what they will regardless of weird shape.

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/21/21 17:31 UTC »
I like the way you think! Innovative!

Offline senkosam

• Keeper
« Reply #4 on: 06/21/21 19:50 UTC »
Thanks Hawg. Innovation pretty much describes the reason I fish.

« Last Edit: 07/31/21 06:38 UTC by senkosam »

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 06/22/21 06:14 UTC »
Great job. Your showing em stuff they have never seen.  ;)

Offline senkosam

• Keeper
« Reply #6 on: 06/22/21 07:01 UTC »
Thanks Dave.

My first soft plastic was a yellow Mr. Twister, 3" curl tail grub. No way I believed that that unnatural color could catch fish (smallmouth in this case), but the bait shop owner guaranteed me it would. (Of course I didn't question the tail action which is also unnatural.)

For years I had confidence with that design and then the media (TV shows) pushed other plastics like the Mr Twister Phenom curl tail worm /Texas rigged. Same curl tail attraction. I caught bass on it so why think anything other than that action tail could do well. But then Gary Y came out with the Senko and that blew all preconceptions out of the water (no pun intended) and opened the door to an infinite number of actions-by-design fish react to.

The number increases every year of new lure shapes/actions, that after testing on different waters, were found to be reliable most days. Thank God for the candle flame plasitcs fuser!

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 06/22/21 10:04 UTC »
I formerly used the fry for the majority of my wacky rigging (yet the corners where the o-rings contacted it were consistently a point of failure)... like you, I believed the square corners likely put some unique vibrations in the water (giving me additional confidence) and  I caught plenty of nice fish on it.

I used to throw them on a Carolina rig during the summer a long time ago and then that bite kind of died off after everyone else started using them.  Circle back to about two years ago, I found an old plano box loaded with centipede's and decided to throw them and caught a bunch of fish on them.  Seems like no one else throws them anymore.  Seems what they say is true; given enough time, what was old will become new again.