Author Topic: New Dude  (Read 10487 times)

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
New Dude
« on: 07/20/14 12:13 UTC »
ctom was kind enough to indulge my questions about getting into plastic bait making on another forum and directed me to this forum so I can bug the experts here instead. LOL

I am/have been a big fan of DO-IT jig molds for many years now. Think I am up to 30 or so molds now. I make stuff mostly for myself and a few friends and family.  I also give jigs to kids I see fishing nearby if there happen to be any around when I'm out.  An investment in the future if you will.

As most of you already know (cost aside) there is just something about catching fish on stuff you yourself have made. Pride ? A sense of satisfaction ? I don't know but it's pretty cool.

Anyhow, I dabbled in soft plastics some years ago trying to duplicate a crappie tube style ( not color)  that was discontinued. After some ( a lot of actually LOL)  trial and error I was able to produce an OK tube in the end but that was the extent of my plastic bait making. These days I fish walleyes with plastics almost exclusively. There are a LOT of decent store bought plastics out there but again, as most of you already know, I like the flexibility that do it yourself baits offer = Colors, sizes etc. and that is what brings me here.

I have decided to jump in and try my hand at making some plastic baits. I have been reading a TON and have a fairly good idea of which direction to head ( I think) starting out. Here's where you guys come in. My goal is to be smart about what I invest in starting out vs shooting i the dark buying stuff I really don't need. So if you don't mind a lot of dumb questions from me as I find my way making my own baits I would sure appreciate any input you could provide.

I hope to get rolling this fall as life is pretty busy for me right now but who knows, it may be sooner than that.

Thanks for your time, Bryan

Offline kipbass

• Lunker
Re: New Dude
« Reply #1 on: 07/20/14 12:56 UTC »
Welcome Byran. Ask away,  that's what we're for.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 07/20/14 14:36 UTC »
This is information central Bryan and LOTS of inquiring minds got smarter here by asking. I did. The molds and the components to get yourself set up to inject are all available here. Do-It has been in the front of the industry when lead molds took off and now they are in the same spot in the plastics arena. Basically. you can stop where you're at and get everything you'll need and the advice and help are free. Granted there are a couple here who like to rub fur the wrong direction in jest but we're serious as well as fun....call us serious funny. But we do have the real scoop here. Welcome to the insanity. If you aren't there yet, wait a couple days....
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline basskat

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 07/20/14 14:39 UTC »
Welcome aboard Bryan!

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 07/20/14 14:43 UTC »
You've come to the right place! Remember there are no dumb questions, we all started with no knowledge, but these guys are experts in the plastic pouring field; so welcome .

Online DF

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 07/20/14 14:54 UTC »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #6 on: 07/20/14 15:33 UTC »
Great first post, Bryan.  If "smart" is what you're after, I'd stay away from Ctom, Andy, the other Tom (with members), and especially Mo.  There are others, but I won't embarrass them now.

Welcome to the forum.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 07/20/14 16:15 UTC »
Welcome aboard - If you're looking to spend money these guys will definately help you spend it!!!!!!!!!!

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #8 on: 07/20/14 18:24 UTC »
Bryan you will have a great time here and they have a great selection to choose from. Can't wait to see what you pick for your first mold.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 07/20/14 20:04 UTC »
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Denny, In spite of me chasing "smarts" all my life, nobody has ever accused me of being smart so I must be doing something right .. or is it wrong ?

MuskyG, No dumb questions ? You may change your mind after I've been around a while.

Fatman, I have no problem spending money. It's the supply I have on hand or more lack thereof that is the problem.

Walley W, The 4.5 Ring-It-Worm will be my first plastics mold. Ringworms are a real producer here on the river especially in the fall. I have a few color schemes in mind that I know will be killer IF I can whip up the right color recipe.

While we are on the subject of ringworms, is there a laminate plate for that mold? If not, is there a way I could cobble one up ?

Another question is, What is the shelf life of DO-ITs plastisol ?

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #10 on: 07/20/14 22:04 UTC »
Bryan good first bait. I have had a 2.5 gallon box for almost a year and haven't had any trouble with it. Look at the flippin zip I like it  because of it's shape. And the walleye's sure like it. 8)
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 07/21/14 06:36 UTC »
Bryan, You can make a plate for the ringworm, I like to use thin sheet metal (.008) which I get at the hobby shop. Just cut it to size and cut a recess where you inject the plastic (so you can still get the injector in the nozzle. After injecting, open the mold; take the sheet of metal out; take the plastic out of the side you want the second color in., clean the spru out, close the mold and shoot the second color! Some people use aluminum foil for the plate, if your only shooting a few baits.

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 07/21/14 18:21 UTC »
Cool. I am alright with cobbling things like that. My goal is to be able to shoot horizontally two toned baits. Would I be able to do that with a plate or would a plate make a vertically two toned bait?

Yes, I'm getting way ahead of myself. I need to learn the basics first before taking on more advanced things like laminates and such but ....... LOL

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 07/21/14 18:31 UTC »
You'll get a bait with two colors in the tail as it lays flat...imagine a top and bottom color.

For metal you can go to a hobby lobby and ask for punch metal. I use the tin. They have copper and brass too but $$$$. OR....

....you can try your hand at hand pouring one side of the mold [the side without the vents!] from the head end to just in front of where the tail begins. When I got my worm mold I couldn't wait to get to Hobby Lobby for metal, now I just do the hand pour....quicker. But then I don't get a two-color tail.

The Ring It worm is one of the easiest molds to work with and as you know the worms are dynamic when it comes to cold water waldos. There are lots of options once you get the hang of things. For the hand pour I use a common teaspoon. The spoon affords a ton of control over where that plastic is going and how much is going in the mold. Using the cups for this is a headache.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline 2XL

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 07/21/14 20:19 UTC »
Got it.

I figured the ringworm was a pretty strait forward mold to start with. I've caught a pile of fish on them through the years.  Looking forward to trying my hand at making them.

Any other favorite plastics for eyes ?