Author Topic: First flys  (Read 8551 times)

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
First flys
« on: 01/04/18 21:13 UTC »
The fly tying tools and materials arrived today. I tied 1 it’s in the scrap heap somewhere. You guys said I didn’t need to have coordination for this. LOL

Austin tied the 2 pictured here they don’t look half bad. We will both keep practicing I’m sure as soon as I work out the frustrations of being new at this it will be relaxing and enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instagram: paneltrucklures
Facebook: Panel Truck Lures

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: First flys
« Reply #1 on: 01/04/18 22:09 UTC »
Look good for a first try.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 01/04/18 22:09 UTC »
I too, threw my first flies away and later regretted it.  I also wished I would have kept the first fly that I tied that was successful  at catching a fish.  It would have made a nice display and brought back some nice memories.  Keep that in mind and oh yeah, those will catch some fish.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/04/18 22:36 UTC »
Olsarge’s words got to me so I went and asked Austin where he put my fly I unearthed it from the boys room. I don’t guess it looks horrible I doubt it’s tied well enough to hold up for fishing use but it can be displayed. It was a struggle to hold materials or even attempt to like I did with unsuccessful application of copper wire. As in time I guess. The struggle makes the victory that much sweeter.

My wife was teasing me saying I’m not enough of a science nerd to be tying flys. I need to know bug anatomy to tie flys. She is on the couch tonight BTW

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 01/05/18 01:04 UTC »
PTL CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOU CATCH ON THEM!!!
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/05/18 02:56 UTC »
One thing I like to do is go to youtube and pull up a pattern and watch it all the way through. Then I will get my stuff ready to tie. I will play the video and stop it after each step and tie that step. Now I can compare my fly to his as you go step by step. Also there are videos for beginners on simple patterns  Also The fly you tied will catch fish!

Offline Ridgeking

• Minnow
« Reply #6 on: 01/05/18 03:40 UTC »
Nobody ever turned out beautiful flies the first time they sat at the vice. It takes patience, practice and perserverance.
It also doesnt hurt to have some instruction of technique. Lots of times local Trout Unlimited chapters have get togethers for members, where people get together and tie flies. You might check with your local chapter.
Also pick up a couple of good tying referrences. I am very fond of a well worn and much loved copy of "Trout Flies" by Dave Hughes.
Finally... Go find some bluegills and chuck that fly at them. After they've chewed it up and you've convinced yourself that it does indeed catch fish, go back to tying and after you've tied a couple thousand you'll see that it's not as insurmountable a task as you initially thought.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/05/18 10:10 UTC »
That’s a great idea with the videos Gary I will try that out

RK- very true words about nobody making a masterpiece the first time they ever did anything including tying flys. You just have to understand how hard I am on my self with things in life. Also after I trimmed some things up on the fly after I took this picture it didn’t look half bad. I will check into the trout flys book. We a have a great creek with blue gills in it less than a mile from the house. I love to fish that creek for gills. They love bright colors there I may need to pick up some bright materials for them.

Has anybody ever bought materials from Fly Tyers Dungeon or Post Fly Box? Prices look good for the amount of materials you get. Or so it seems to the new guy I’m just worried about the quality of materials.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 01/05/18 11:58 UTC »
Fly Tyers Dungeon is top notch. He makes all his own products and I have bought from him several times.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 01/05/18 12:29 UTC »
I have purchased  stuff from FTD before, always good results.  My favorite site was feather-craft.com.  You won't go wrong at either place.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 01/05/18 21:21 UTC »
Like I mentioned before...trial and error...errors usually work. Besides, they are only errors if you tell someone that they are.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 01/06/18 08:47 UTC »
Like I mentioned before...trial and error...errors usually work. Besides, they are only errors if you tell someone that they are.

Those are happy accidents I tied into that fly

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 01/06/18 09:14 UTC »
Those are happy accidents I tied into that fly
LOL.....I tried to see how ugly I could make it to see if a fish would still hit it. Guess what, never too ugly.

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 01/06/18 20:57 UTC »
Back at the vice tonight after I watched a handful of YouTube videos this evening. Much better I’m happier with this result. I’d like to say I suck at dubbing but you guys have taught me “the fish don’t know any better” I used to say we ain’t goin to the AMA bike show at Sturgis when doing a cheap motorcycle paint job. I may have to start saying we ain’t goin to the AMA fly show at Sturgis!

Offline Paneltruck.lures

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 01/06/18 21:08 UTC »
Austin just helped my daughter with this little fly. They did a great job, Austin is really getting the hang of this quickly.