Author Topic: What size for lake trout inline spinner?  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
What size for lake trout inline spinner?
« on: 07/06/18 18:29 UTC »
My dad just bought a cabin on a lake north of us a ways.
We tried fishing the Lake Trout this lake is known for and did OK.
Especially considering this was our first time fishing Lakers in the summertime.
Caught some decent fish and lost some bigger ones.
My dad found some old spinners in his tackle box that did real well then were lost to the deep.
So I ordered the parts to replicate them.
Ordered several sizes so I can experiment.
These will have #3 and #4 french blades.
10# Lakers here are fairly common and fish of 50#-60#+ are know to be in this lake.
It also hosts some big burbot and grayling.
Knowing this is .035 wire going to be enough or should I opt for .041?
I can do up to .041 on my Hagen's and my Twistech.
Here's a pic of my biggest catch of the weekend 27" and roughly 8#.

« Last Edit: 07/06/18 18:32 UTC by Kasilofchrisn »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: What size for lake trout inline spinner?
« Reply #1 on: 07/06/18 18:36 UTC »
I'd be casting up some banana heads in the 2, 3 ounce range and injecting some 4" tubes. Lakers love tubes fished on jigs. Straight down, vertical jig. White or pearl white tubes and heads. You can add a strip of sucker belly if you feel the need for some actual meat but I haven't ever seen a shy laker. PowerBait tubes work well too. White again. Plain glow paint on the heads will help when doing white and the glow will work good in white tubes.

We jig lakers to 30 pounds on Lake Superior and as deep as 175 feet using the tubes and colors mentioned.

That's a nice redfin, as I would call it. 7-8 pounds. Good eating at that size. Beautiful fish.
« Last Edit: 07/06/18 18:40 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 07/06/18 22:57 UTC »
While I'm going to make some jigs for these guys I'm really looking towards making these spinners right now.
They really seem to work good on these fish and we lost some that were easily 10# plus on the Spinners my dad had that I'm going to replicate.
No bait allowed in the summer time so no worries about that and it's single hook only.
I do need to find a mold that makes bigger tubes say up to 2 ounce or so.
I don't make soft Plastics and I'm not going to get into it so I'll just buy the tubes themselves locally.
Really didn't explore the lake much only fishing 1/4 Mile from his cabin but we found a trough in 32 feet of water that really seem to produce.
While this lake has some really deep Spots I'm not sure in the summer time that we are going to need to get into the Deep Fishing.
we sure marked a lot of fish in the shallow areas say less than 35 ft and caught quite a few fish in those areas.
I do have some ideas for some of my Shawn Collins molds to make some awesome lake trout jigs in all the sizes I could need.
but like I said Spinners and spoons have been providing consistent action on decent sized fish so I'm not sure there's a big need to change it up quite yet.
« Last Edit: 07/06/18 23:03 UTC by Kasilofchrisn »

Online Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 07/07/18 08:45 UTC »
Nice fish Chris. I would stay with .035 until the fish told me I needed to change. If they start bending them beyond repair, for instance. We use .035 on all our bass spinnerbaits and our Alabama rigs that we catch two at a time on sometimes and have no problem with them breaking any wires. As long as you have your drag set correctly, I don’t think you’ll have any problems. You and your father did much better than I did on the Lake Trout up there. Last year on Lake Tustemena, I blanked. Didn’t catch a fish but we were fishing on bottom with cut bait.

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 07/07/18 14:28 UTC »
Nice fish Chris. I would stay with .035 until the fish told me I needed to change. If they start bending them beyond repair, for instance. We use .035 on all our bass spinnerbaits and our Alabama rigs that we catch two at a time on sometimes and have no problem with them breaking any wires. As long as you have your drag set correctly, I don’t think you’ll have any problems. You and your father did much better than I did on the Lake Trout up there. Last year on Lake Tustemena, I blanked. Didn’t catch a fish but we were fishing on bottom with cut bait.
I might make a couple up in each size wire just to see how I like the look and feel of them.
I love Tustumena and go there several times a year as it's not that far from me but don't fish it much.
The lake the cabin is on and Tustumena are two totally different creatures. Tustumena has that glacier silt in it and the lake my dad's cabin is on is gin clear.
Different currents and topography also.
Plus single hook no bait at the cabin makes a difference in how we fish.
As you know the state of Alaska considers bait to include any fish oil, scents, or anything of that nature.
You going to be on the Peninsula this summer?
We should meet up and discuss lure making!

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Online Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 07/07/18 14:56 UTC »
I’ll be there next week. We opened our camp up back in May. Probably spend three weeks there July into August. Another two or three in September/October asI want to get into some Silver action on the Kenai. Hear it can be quite good. When I leave from that trip, I’ll winterize it then. Would love to catch up with you while I’m there.