Author Topic: Bubba Scud  (Read 2435 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Bubba Scud
« on: 02/04/20 15:21 UTC »
The sun finally gave me the right conditions to shoot a picture of three colors I tried this morning using the new Bubba Scud mold. All of these are simple plastic colors and all have color shifting pigments in them that call for being used IN a paint or a plastics. Some success here. I need a shaded sunlight to get decent pictures to show the pigments working and these pics are pretty decent for that.

The amber top color has a color shift called Nordic Sunset in it that goes from gold to green to purple. It shifts nicely within those colors when used in black or on black but one can barely see the gold and just a hint of the green in the heads of the baits. In strong sunlight the Amber takes over and the pigments get lost.

The green appearing bait on the lower left is done with solid black plastic using a color shifting pearl called Kiwi and shifts from the green to gold to purple to blue. If one studies the baits carefully they can see the green and gold and a very tiny bit of purple in some places along the bodies, but the purple is super hard to see actually. It is there though. The green and gold really take over the colors on this one, even in strong sunlight where the green just gets more predominate.

The most interesting of the three is the one on the right side of the picture. Its a moderate smoke with a pigment that shifts from yellow to green to blue then purple. This pigment simply has a number for its color which is C13. This one is interesting just about every color within its shifting span is able to be picked out of the bait's color. Purple , green and a wee bit of gold jump right out at a guy. Of the three, this is my favorite. When I looked at these three colors in direct sunlight the legs on the smoke bait were full of reflected light.

I've used all three of these color shifting pigments in clear coats over black not only on hard baits but on soft plastics as well and know how well the shift from color to color. They are uncanny when viewed being retrieved in the water.

Before I mixed these colors up to play a bit I shot this mold in several ways using some junk plastic. I shot it cold and I shot it fast to get heat into it quickly. One of my observations was that when this mold got really hot and the plastic was also hot...at or over 330 degrees...the heads liked to make small dents on the vent side of the mold. Letting the mold cool and using quite warm plastic, again over 330 degrees, some small dents could be realized just not as common as when the mold and plastic were both hot, but honestly I had to go looking to find any of the denting. Plastic under 330 degrees in the mold hot or otherwise made perfect baits.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
Re: Bubba Scud
« Reply #1 on: 02/04/20 16:35 UTC »
Wow those are beautiful! I  just love that bottom right purple colored one  as well.  I can't wait to make a bunch up and try this  little bait out.  I got a bottle of the X2 Amber as well with my order and I can't wait to try that color out.  Is that a pretty good color for the Crappies I'm assuming?   Chartreuse with red flake is my go to color and the Crappie  just goes crazy over it.  Yeah those look super awesome  and thank you for putting the pictures up .  always look forward to seeing your creations.   

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 02/05/20 06:05 UTC »
Another great pic and explanation from the shift master.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/13/20 20:12 UTC »
Nice baits!!

Offline Agronomist_at_ia

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 11/21/20 23:49 UTC »
Ctom....would you be willing to swap some panfish baits?

I’d like to try some of the bubba scud. My bream bug is nice, but I’d like something a bit smaller....thinking the bubba scud would work.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #5 on: 11/22/20 01:33 UTC »
The king of shift. Sure like the purple and the top one.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 11/22/20 08:33 UTC »
Very nice.  I have been playing with color shift powders myself and it is a lot of fun.  Well done
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 11/22/20 09:01 UTC »
Ctom....would you be willing to swap some panfish baits?

I’d like to try some of the bubba scud. My bream bug is nice, but I’d like something a bit smaller....thinking the bubba scud would work.

Check your pm's Agronomist
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 11/26/20 13:24 UTC »
Those are awesome Tom!!!