Author Topic: Weedless ball head jig  (Read 1565 times)

Offline kyflyfisher

• Minnow
Weedless ball head jig
« on: 04/05/20 19:47 UTC »
I know this is a long shot, but my son is looking for an older weedless ball head jig mold that uses the Y guards.  If anyone has one they would be willing to part with, or knows of one, would you please let me know.
We both like the y guards better than the fiber guards in our jigs.
Thanks for any info to be had.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
Re: Weedless ball head jig
« Reply #1 on: 04/05/20 19:59 UTC »
I preferred the Y guards as well, but those are largely a thing of the past... however sometimes they pop up on ebay.

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #2 on: 04/05/20 23:02 UTC »
If you can find the Y guards, you can use them in any mold that takes a fiber weed guard. Just mold the heads with the metal pins and epoxy the Y guards in place.  I would use superglue to position the Y guards, then epoxy for filling the hole & the added strength. That's the easiest thing to do IMO.

I've made pins too for smaller weed guards for some of my molds, by getting some steel rod, like 3/32" rod. and wrapping part of it with teflon tape so that it fits in the center of the larger 1/8" pin slot in the mold and makes a smaller weed guard hole.  I think those Y guards were 1/16" diameter at the base. I've only done it for smaller fiber guards, but would still work the same if you have the Y guards.

Offline Fatman

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/22/20 18:15 UTC »
you can get the y guards here at Lure Craft

https://www.lurecraft.com/searchprods.asp

I've seen the molds on the bay