Author Topic: First cast....  (Read 2238 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
First cast....
« on: 11/28/20 13:40 UTC »
My grandson came fishing with me this morning and it started off just about as perfect as perfect can be. My first cast put this dandy +13" crappie in the pail.

For the next hour and 20 minutes it was pretty much cast and haul in a fish. Nice, nice fish too.... just about everything riding on a foot or slightly better. Same backwater location, same color [junebug/chartreuse tail], same narrow window. Straight up 8 o'clock and the fun was over. We caught and released a mess of nice fish and only three that needed some growing yet.

We kept 15 for him to have a good fry, but I slid 6 fillets off the pile for a dinner tomorrow evening. I don't get to fish with him as much as I'd like to but for a birthday morning I couldn't have asked for anything better than this time with him on a super good bite. He commented that he had never seen fish so consistently nice and I could tell the kid was just beaming inside. What a morning.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
Re: First cast....
« Reply #1 on: 11/28/20 14:15 UTC »
Great story.  Glad you got out with the youngster.  I will bet that he remembers that day  even when he becomes a grandpa!
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 11/28/20 16:30 UTC »
You had a awesome day with the grandson was it his or your birthday? How ever it was Happy Birthday.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 11/29/20 04:27 UTC »
Mine.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Online basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/29/20 18:37 UTC »
Great birthday trip.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/29/20 18:59 UTC »
The step son and I did a return trip this morning and we got a few fish before a major league cold front came muscling thru with dropping temps and 30 mph winds.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #6 on: 11/29/20 19:52 UTC »
Glad that you could pick a few up before the front rolled threw. High wind and mid 30’s here.
« Last Edit: 11/30/20 08:12 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 11/30/20 12:10 UTC »
I broke a $400 rod on my first cast with it on Saturday. Your outing looked much more fruitful  :P

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 11/30/20 12:14 UTC »
Whoa very nice one and great story.  I am waiting for the Crappie to move back in towards the bank here and then I'm going to go give it a shot.  The lake here yields  plenty of Crappie but it's rare to get anything  13" but I know there is some monsters in this lake and so far my biggest is 14"

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #9 on: 11/30/20 22:47 UTC »
bassinfool that really sucks and it’s odd that it broke that clean most the time they splinter.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 12/02/20 16:23 UTC »
bassinfool that really sucks and it’s odd that it broke that clean most the time they splinter.

Pretty sure it had to have been a defect in the blank because it was just a simple little roll cast and it just went "tick" and broke.  Didn't hit it on anything, snap the tip real hard or anything weird like that so I'm not really sure what happened.  Either way, I sent it back yesterday and they're supposedly going to be sending me a replacement within the week.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #11 on: 12/02/20 18:13 UTC »
Glad that they replaced for you. A friend of mine has broke two rods this year but he isn’t as care full as he should be with is gear.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 08/12/21 20:59 UTC »
Man, crappie that size put a serious bend in a light action rod! Nice fish - congrats!

What wasn't mentioned originally was that this was not the largest fish of the day. We took five that bettered the 14" mark. The 13 was just the first fish on the first cast.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they