Author Topic: Bigger Slow Pitch size Shad Spoon  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Bucho

• Keeper
Bigger Slow Pitch size Shad Spoon
« on: 02/16/21 12:21 UTC »
Here in the shallow baltic sea, I am very very happy with the shad spoon rigged with assist hooks and fished in a slow pitch manner, with a soft, slightly overloaded rod. However, watching yet another video of a lure maker using them for warm water, I would love to see some bigger sizes, corresponding to the flutter jig. I just got myself a competitors`s slow falling jig mold and do not really like it better than the shad spoon. It covers the entire range though which is important for a small lure maker venture. I find the shad spoon to be a fantastic "slow pitch" pattern that also looks more like many of the newly popular patterns than the flutter jig does. 

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Re: Bigger Slow Pitch size Shad Spoon
« Reply #1 on: 02/16/21 12:34 UTC »
Nice catches Bucho!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 02/16/21 13:02 UTC »
Sweet! The closest thing to cod that I can catch here in Minnesota is an eelpout....not anywhere near as pretty as the ones you have in you pictures. In the red basket....flounder or small halibut?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #3 on: 02/16/21 13:14 UTC »
Awesome spoon colors and mighty tasty looking fish also.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Bucho

• Keeper
« Reply #4 on: 02/17/21 10:39 UTC »
In the red basket....flounder or small halibut?

Those are plaice. A small mouthed species which is not piscavorous as most of our commonly caught flatfish. I started out with a small inchiku improvised from a drilled flutter jig, a fluke bucktail skirt and a pair of small hooks tipped with lug worm. It was supposed to dead drift/bottom bounce on the side with a sand eel dropper fly as a joker for turbot, the only large mouthed flatfish we have.

No turbot yet but it proved very effectiv for larger specimen of the small mouthed species so I combined several different influences - sliding kabura, assist hooks, halibut spinnow, fluke bucktail - into a baited jig package. I normally use the jigging spoon because it looks a bit off and different from the other lures and I had no other use for it but the shad spoon is a bit larger and allows me a more vertical presentation. I find it somewhat annoying that the different patterns are all limited in size.

Above you find the usd wobble jig adaptation, to be tipped with lug worm or tied with zonker strip, which is my 1# game changing small mouthed flounder lure, it says "Im a little flatty struggling wiht a large worm, come and steal it from me!" to the other flounder. Larger predators only hear "I am a little flounder strugling...". I cannot scale it up without getting the bait stolen, which is what these small mouthed fish are particularly good at, hence the idea of the larger lure body with extra hair and flexible hooks.

Offline Partycrasher

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 02/17/21 14:52 UTC »
Awesome stuff!
Marc

Offline Bucho

• Keeper
« Reply #6 on: 10/09/21 11:02 UTC »
I bit the bullit now and ordered custom work for an upscaled jigging spoon. The small mouthed flounder lure is selling like hot cake and my customers requested heavier sizes for the baltic sea. It has two cavities 60g and 90g accepting 100 and 150 CC wire forms. The whole slow pitch idea is not taking off here in Germany, but the flounder business does. That being said, the larger jigging spoon will certainly do the trick, too, when rigged accordingly. The local stock of atlantic cod has broken down and I have little opportunitiy to field test, but it looks very promising.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 10/09/21 11:08 UTC »
Nice fish from the other side of the world.

I've often wished that I lived on a coast that offered some of this fun looking salt fishing.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #8 on: 10/11/21 11:33 UTC »
Awesome bait 😎😎😎😎😎