Author Topic: Finally caught some fish  (Read 1902 times)

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
Finally caught some fish
« on: 03/09/21 16:32 UTC »
Well, after two very cold, very windy and very unsuccessful trips in the weeks prior I was finally able to catch some fish this past weekend.  Got a pretty late start to the morning and didn't even get to the lake until around 9:30.  The main lake was getting killed by a stiff north/northwest wind blowing from 10-20 miles per hour so I decided to run down river to a long, deep creek arm to see if I couldn't get out of the wind as well as try to find some stained and warmer water as the main river water temps were in the low 50's.

Pulled up on my first spot and immediately saw large schools of baitfish with some bass in and around them on the graph-always a good sight to see.  I picked up a custom painted wiggle wart and started chunking and winding pretty fast with some intermittent pauses and jerks and by my third cast I had called up my first customer of the day- a chunky little largemouth probably right around two pounds.  Threw him back and made about 2-3 more casts before I caught another largemouth about the same size.  I kept working down the bank of this main creek point keeping my eye on the graph to see if I was going over any potential drop shot fish but all the fish seemed to be suspended in the middle of the water column, about 8-10 feet down, or chasing bait.  Maybe 10 more casts I caught another fish on the crankbait, a non-keeper spot.  As I moved down the bank to where the point started to edge into a secondary creek I switched to an A rig and made about 3 casts before I picked up a chunky spotted bass in the 2-2.5 pound range. 

Things cooled down after that first spot and even though I could find bait in other areas I never did find any fish willing to commit to the crank or A rig.  Even though I felt several fish come up and hit the rig, none ever took the baits.  So that started the ole run to a spot, scan to find bait, cast for a little while, change lures and then move to another area.  I checked several small creeks off the main lake that had some small schools of baitfish and some warmer water temps into the upper 50's but the fish just weren't there yet.  I think the significant cold snap the southeast saw several weeks ago really set our fish back after the lake was inundated with all that cold rain/runoff and a week straight off temps in the 10's-30's.  Right before I called it quits I fished the main lake point right in front of my parent's house which has an old railroad bed running parallel to the bank.  I got thumped on my second cast of the crankbait so hard that it knocked slack in the line but no hook up.  I immediately reeled in and shot the crank right back out to the same spot, reeled the bait down to start hitting rock and paused it.  As soon as I let the bait float up for a couple seconds and then started back the retrieve I got nailed by a football of a spotted bass.  That was my last fish of the day and my first limit of the year; a little redemption after no fish the trips prior. 

I will be able to fish both days this weekend and after a week of days in the upper 60's/low 70's I fully expect the fish to be in full blown pre-spawn/spawn mode.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Re: Finally caught some fish
« Reply #1 on: 03/09/21 16:48 UTC »
Sweet color crank and nice fish to boot.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 03/09/21 18:23 UTC »
It feels good to be rewarded in the spring. Happy you could put together some success.

50 degree water here would be swimming temp water. Right now most of our water is capped with ice and that which is open is in the 30's yet. The mighty Mississippi near here had 38 degrees yesterday.
« Last Edit: 03/09/21 18:25 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 03/09/21 22:48 UTC »
Not too often would one fella compliment another saying he has "nice looking warts", but this definitely would be one of those times!

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 03/10/21 09:04 UTC »
It feels good to be rewarded in the spring. Happy you could put together some success.

50 degree water here would be swimming temp water. Right now most of our water is capped with ice and that which is open is in the 30's yet. The mighty Mississippi near here had 38 degrees yesterday.

I speared a wave a few weeks ago when water temps were in the 40's.  Had enough water in the boat it was hitting the back of my legs!  Needless to say I threw on my pumps and gunned it once I got out of the roughest waves but I was absolutely soaked to the bone.  I could not imagine swimming in 50 degree water and enjoying it  :P

Not too often would one fella compliment another saying he has "nice looking warts", but this definitely would be one of those times!

I feel like a lot of people sleep on the wiggle wart in my area but it has proven time and time again over the years to be a proven fish catcher.  Majority of people I know seem to throw Strike King, Bandit and Norman with a few folks throwing Megabass, sixth sense and the like.  I have a few, fairly simple, color patterns I put on mine and they just flat out catch fish.  Something about the way they hunt I guess.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 03/10/21 10:42 UTC »
I have a few, fairly simple, color patterns I put on mine and they just flat out catch fish.  Something about the way they hunt I guess.

And its great having a fish catching color that NOBODY else has.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 03/10/21 11:07 UTC »
And its great having a fish catching color that NOBODY else has.

A couple years ago I pulled up to one of my favorite spots which is a shallow, rocky stump field that has a relative depth of about 8-10 feet with humps ranging from 2-5 feet deep spread across it right up against the main river channel.  It is an absolute magnet during the spring and fall for fish making their transition.  Anyway, I start throwing a wart in a color I call TVA shad and proceed to absolutely load the boat with spotted bass.  I think I caught more than 20 in an hour or so with weights ranging between 1-4 pounds; I ended up keeping my best 5 for a photo back at the boat house and had nearly 19 pounds in spots. 

I tell you that to now tell you this.  A few minutes after I pull up and start fishing I see another guy pull up and start casting a live minnow under a popping cork.  This guy was fishing live bait and couldn't seem to buy a bite and didn't catch a fish the entire time he was there.  Meanwhile, I'm casting to nearly the same spots he was and absolutely crushing the fish.  After about the 10th fish I watched as this guy packed it up and idled over to his pier and went in the house.  Pretty good feeling when your own baits outperform live bait!

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 03/10/21 11:51 UTC »
And that's why we Do-It!!