Author Topic: A new color shift.....  (Read 1304 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
A new color shift.....
« on: 05/25/21 08:26 UTC »
A while ago I found a blood red color shift on an Asian site and ordered it. I guess the deep red just tripped my trigger. Usually I prefer color shifts made with white particle, small particle pigments but this just flipped my switch so I bought some.

In the jar this stuff is butt ugly blackish mass but applied over black it comes to life in a huge way. Seen on the back of a black bodied 2 3/4" Fat Fry, this stuff exudes colors like I've never seen in a color shift before. Red to orange to gold to blue to green to purple, all within a few degrees of shift in light angle. Absolutely unreal. My task for today is to try and get a short video of the color shift on the camera so I can post it here....limited tech smarts here.

Seen in this picture one can get an idea of the depth of the red when dry-brushed and by looking closely at the nose end at the top edge orange and gold can be seen wanting to sneak out. Right thru the middle of the color the blue is just beginning to show. 'll note here tat I like the 2 3/4" Fat Fry with a black body for trialing these pigments because the body covers all of the contours that show the shifting colors.

In the picture below one can see the orange, gold and blue coming out better

This new pigment is super fine particle and will spray easily thru my air brush so I'm going to do a black hard body to top coat with this pigment in a clear base to see what I get and will repost a pic of that test. Then maybe this afternoon I'll take time to dink with the phone's camera and get a video of this stuff going thru the shift. I'm hoping it will pan out because this pigment is incredible.
« Last Edit: 05/25/21 08:35 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
Re: A new color shift.....
« Reply #1 on: 05/25/21 11:09 UTC »
Wow!! That is absolutely beautiful! Nice work ctom.  I need some of this stuff.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 05/25/21 12:46 UTC »
Awesome shift that fat fork and the 2.5” Thump it Are bits to always have with yeah.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 05/25/21 15:51 UTC »
I dug up a re-paint candidate and did a gold coat then an orange belly and finishing with a black back. I mixed this new pigment up in clear and did a top coat then did a dip in seal coat. As a whole I like this color combo on the bait and will do a few more like it. The color shift, in the clear, is a bit more subdued that brushed dry,  on full strength. Its actually very nice but its not as "stand out" as I thought it might be. Probably need to mix it a tad bit stronger. Nonetheless, I like it.

The picture was taken in full sun and this shifter probably does better in shaded light....just my guess. In case anyone is concerned about the turkey tracks in the paint coat, the cracks are in about three coats prior. As mentioned, this lure is a re-paint job. Still, the colors dance around pretty well. The intensity of the red color shift and the underlying colors in the change happen very fast in the sun, but the red itself is quite strong across the top of the back for a blink. Cool finish color.

The video....I'll wait until one of the grandsons comes over and will let then do it so it turns out.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Online Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 05/26/21 16:12 UTC »
That’s a nice one, for sure. Was wondering about the cracks.

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 05/26/21 16:21 UTC »
That color shift does make some amazing colors.