Author Topic: 4" Ripper and the twin injector.  (Read 802 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
4" Ripper and the twin injector.
« on: 06/03/21 13:13 UTC »
In spite of being formatted in a way that makes the twin injector use a pain in the backside, the Ripper molds can be "fixed" to make the color split much neater.

In the picture you can see a ripper mold without the "aide" at the elbow of the runner as is seen in the lower side of the picture. The un-fixed mold is a 3" mold, the other with the fix is a 4". Basically I pushed some High Temp JB Weld into the corners of the of the runner elbow and smoothed it out to make a clean turn for the plastic. The result is a much better color split with much less color mixing. I still need to touch up a couple tiny spots with the dremel on this example. My other 4" ripper mold  has been converted a while and being used by a friend. The color separation in the fixed molds is really nice. I'll have a couple eamples after he returns the mold and twin injector. The ones I've already done myself are in his boat yet.

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
Re: 4" Ripper and the twin injector.
« Reply #1 on: 06/03/21 16:19 UTC »
Wow that's interesting and can't wait to see finished baits

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 06/03/21 17:26 UTC »
It will be interesting to see when it’s all said a done.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 06/04/21 06:03 UTC »
Interesting

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 06/04/21 10:22 UTC »
Here's a bait before the jb weld was added [top] and after [bottom].  Same plastics, same mold.

The line of separation is way more disctinct and the colors are denser.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 06/04/21 12:19 UTC »
You can definitely see a difference in the tail- much clearer distinction between the two colors.  Cool little modification you've done there, Tom.

Online Les Young

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 06/04/21 19:10 UTC »
,is this the cnc mold or the essential series? Thanks

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 06/04/21 20:01 UTC »
4" cnc. I'm not aware of a 4" in the essential series, but I could have missed it if there is. I'll note here that the plastic going in to become the back of the bait, in this case the smoke, needs to be slightly warmer than the pearl. The pearl is at 340 and the smoke is at 350.

Online Les Young

• Kicker
« Reply #8 on: 06/05/21 07:28 UTC »
Tom, I missed the 4” part. Thanks

Offline Canga~

• Keeper
« Reply #9 on: 06/05/21 20:19 UTC »
interesting idea and nice  fix! i might have to try this on the 3" mold i never use. i wish do-it would make a multi-cavity top inject version of this mold, that would be awesome!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 06/05/21 21:12 UTC »
i wish do-it would make a multi-cavity top inject version of this mold, that would be awesome!

On any single cavity mold that makes two sides, like the paddletailed molds, a top injection port would be sweet so really good split colors could be had.

Online Les Young

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 06/06/21 11:08 UTC »
On any single cavity mold that makes two sides, like the paddletailed molds, a top injection port would be sweet so really good split colors could be had.
Yes it would or one like the XL series that made 4 or more.

Offline Canga~

• Keeper
« Reply #12 on: 06/06/21 18:15 UTC »
Yes it would or one like the XL series that made 4 or more.

a multi-cavity cnc version would be welcome too! i have since moved on from the ripper to other companies swimbaits, just because i cant do consistent good laminates with the ripper, but its always in the back of my mind and i would definitely get a multi-cavity mold if they ever do a top inject, whether its cnc or ES!! (especially the 2.5"). the ripper was the first soft plastic mold that i bought and caught fish on the first ones i made so it holds a special place!

Online Les Young

• Kicker
« Reply #13 on: 06/07/21 13:58 UTC »
Oh yeah it’s a good one.