Author Topic: Anyone deal with FGF?  (Read 488 times)

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
Anyone deal with FGF?
« on: 05/28/22 10:50 UTC »
Do you guys use the Fat Guys molds?  I have a couple panfish molds and purchased a  Da Fly mold from them during the Mothers Day sale event and after getting the thing it is junk!  I can't get the legs or antennas to fill up and I've tried everything from getting the mold really hot on a griddle and pouring in temperatures up to 270 degrees and it just will not fill.   I contact them and they tell me they will send a replacement and nothing is sent yet and I asked again yesterday and they said it was being shipped in the morning and still nothing.   Anyone else had this problem from them? I am getting a bit ticked off here and want a product that works.

Offline anyfish

• Kicker
Re: Anyone deal with FGF?
« Reply #1 on: 05/28/22 13:18 UTC »
I haven't bought anything from them but I know a few folks who have and they have nothing but good things to say about them.  I know they regularly have a lead time in there molds, so maybe it's just that.

Im by no means an expert, but as far as ideas, have you tried adding a drop of worm oil to the parts that will not fill in?  Also maybe I miss reading you post,  but I always shoot my plastisol above 300, probably closer to 320. 

Offline Les Young

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 05/29/22 09:17 UTC »
Shaun i have a big ribbon tail  worm mold & a 2" double tail crappie slayer mini system mold & they are actually the easiest molds i have to shoot repetitively without having a single problem. I've never read anything about  anybody having any problems with them either so i'd say you'll get taken care of.
« Last Edit: 05/29/22 09:19 UTC by Les Young »

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 05/29/22 09:25 UTC »
The mold appears to be well vented Shaun. Are you using the thumb screws to close the mold or are you clamping? If you are clamping you may be cinching down on the mold too tight. Some of those smaller legs and the vents won't take much pressure to slow plastic enough to cause incomplete fills in the small areas.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 05/29/22 18:12 UTC »
I have not tried worm oil but I'm going to give it a shot anyfish thanks for bringing that up.  I normally shoot 300 to 320 also but juiced up temperature even hotter for the mold and put the mold on a hot plate got it hot even.  I am using straight black plastic no glitter or anything that could stop the flow of plastic.   Tom I use the included screws and have tried from loose clamping to tight  and it doesn't matter.  I have even put pressure trying to force the plastic in to the areas that will not fill and I'm getting no where.  I think I'm going to try the worm oil and see what happens with that.  I have other molds from them that has no problem but I noticed flashing in the picture they have on there website  not sure about that makes me wonder also.   I just think I happened to get a defective mold but we will see after trying worm oil I mean with plastic that hot there's no reason it should not fill and especially loosely clamped and on a griddle so hot it would almost burn you something isn't right.

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 06/14/22 10:22 UTC »
Hello fgf sent me a new mold and I returned the defective one.  Every pour turns out perfectly now I had them to deepen the arms and antenna part and it all fills up perfectly  oh and the arms don't bend so easy like it would have so finally got everything straightened out. Here is some pics

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 06/14/22 12:15 UTC »
Looks like a great bluegill and shell cracker bait shaunm81.

Offline Canga~

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 06/15/22 09:40 UTC »
i have about 25 molds and a dual injector from FGF, i have talked to both Craig and Kevin on the phone and they are great to deal with, i also talk to them through facebook messenger from time to time with questions or comments. nothing but good things to say about the guys or the molds they make.

glad they got everything straightened out for you!

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 06/16/22 18:55 UTC »
Thanks Lines yeah I thought it would do really good in these ponds I fish especially.

Canga, yeah I've always heard they were great people and I have a few of there molds also the Evo bug is really cool and a beaver tail mold just wish i would have gotten it in a smaller size and they pour great.  Yeah they were communicating with me also  on Facebook  and then they stopped saying anything but see my messages so I don't know if I made them a little bit aggravated or what but I could not use the mold I tried everything and it did not matter the arms and tails would not fill. I  heated the plastic to almost 400 degrees and still would not fill even me applying pressure on the injections but I'm going to message them and ask them to shoot the defective mold I returned and tell me does it work or not.  I  guess maybe should have been more patient but it's not fun paying for something that you can not use and they tell me they never had any problems with that mold so I guess I was the first person to have issues with it but nothing is perfect either things happen sometimes out of our control. 

Offline Canga~

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 06/16/22 19:15 UTC »
Thanks Lines yeah I thought it would do really good in these ponds I fish especially.

Canga, yeah I've always heard they were great people and I have a few of there molds also the Evo bug is really cool and a beaver tail mold just wish i would have gotten it in a smaller size and they pour great.  Yeah they were communicating with me also  on Facebook  and then they stopped saying anything but see my messages so I don't know if I made them a little bit aggravated or what but I could not use the mold I tried everything and it did not matter the arms and tails would not fill. I  heated the plastic to almost 400 degrees and still would not fill even me applying pressure on the injections but I'm going to message them and ask them to shoot the defective mold I returned and tell me does it work or not.  I  guess maybe should have been more patient but it's not fun paying for something that you can not use and they tell me they never had any problems with that mold so I guess I was the first person to have issues with it but nothing is perfect either things happen sometimes out of our control.

i imagine there is always going to be a bad mold here and there, even if most of the same model works, nothing in life is perfect. i had an issue with one mold i got from the (the 4" fatty) where the tails wouldnt fill if the mold wasnt clamped extremely light, i contacted them with the issue, they suggested a few things that didnt work and next day i had a new mold with improved tail venting on the way that shot perfect. not making excuses for them but they are busy a lot of the time now, being just a couple guys milling molds, and i know their stuff is in demand, hopefully thats all it was, they shouldnt be aggravated by a mold not shooting well!