Author Topic: Clamps and Clamping  (Read 47647 times)

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
Re: Clamps and Clamping
« Reply #15 on: 05/03/12 10:14 UTC »
Great idea CCT...especially on cold days.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline floridagrimp

• Lunker
« Reply #16 on: 10/10/12 17:29 UTC »
just realized I am clamping molds too close together, in the middle of the molds!!!

I pour, say...10 molds (8-12 carrot molds) or so and use 2 of the 600 lb. Irwin clamps. Is that enough??
"Be sure to fillet and re-grease!"

"WATCH THE FOX, "fair and balanced" in a world filled with leftwing media types!
Obama's added 15 million to food stamp roles in 4 years (and growing).."If you pay folks to be poor then you'll have a lot of poor people"

Offline 412BaitCo

• Lunker
    • 412BaitCo
« Reply #17 on: 10/10/12 17:41 UTC »
I have the little Irwin ones and within about 3 months they are already starting to seem like they're fading. I think I might go with the bigger ones. The small ones are so cheap though. I think I got 4 for 25 dollars on amazon.

Offline floridagrimp

• Lunker
« Reply #18 on: 10/10/12 17:47 UTC »
I haven't had any issues w/600 lb Irwins...they are pricey (high 20's), but again.."quality is LONG remembered after price is forgotten"   
"Be sure to fillet and re-grease!"

"WATCH THE FOX, "fair and balanced" in a world filled with leftwing media types!
Obama's added 15 million to food stamp roles in 4 years (and growing).."If you pay folks to be poor then you'll have a lot of poor people"

Offline JOHN62

• Minnow
  • Avid smallie fisherman, golfer, semi-retired
« Reply #19 on: 02/10/13 12:34 UTC »
I bought my clamps at Harbour Freight.  $3.00 each  for the one that opens to 6.25". They have all sizes. I was leary at first because HF is really cheap stuff. BUT, I have not had any problem with them. I believe the Irwin at Home Depot was $11.00 for the same size.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • Lunker
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #20 on: 02/14/13 14:24 UTC »
I bought my clamps at Harbour Freight.  $3.00 each  for the one that opens to 6.25". They have all sizes. I was leary at first because HF is really cheap stuff. BUT, I have not had any problem with them. I believe the Irwin at Home Depot was $11.00 for the same size.

Be really careful with your choice of equipment and protective clothing.  One mishap will far exceed any money saved if you get hurt.

Jason

Offline sim

• Kicker
« Reply #21 on: 08/11/13 21:27 UTC »
I know this is an older thread - but ...

Is there any reason I can't use a bench vise? I find its quicker, especially when running only one mold - the jaws on this vice are 5"  - http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/vises/5-inch-multi-purpose-vise-67415.html

I know for a fact this isnt giving out - clamping 2 molds is easy - 3 takes a little bit of finesse (but the middle does not slip) - If I need to do a vertical mold (DD Gill) - I just rotate the vice 90 degrees.

I kept 'fighting' the quick grips and had no good place to 'set' them to keep them out of the way so I could inject - this (which I already had) seems to solve that.

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
« Reply #22 on: 08/11/13 22:09 UTC »
You've got to do what you feel comfortable with, but I don't think money should get in the way of safety.  I started with 100# Irwin clamps and quickly went to the 600# vises.  I feel a whole lot safer using the larger clamp, especially when pouring multiple molds.  It seems to me that the molds would have to be centered in the bench vise bench vise.  If the spru is on the end of the mold, you would be applying downward pressure to an unsupported part of the mold.  Perhaps unlikely, but that would be an accident waiting to happen.
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline sim

• Kicker
« Reply #23 on: 08/11/13 23:21 UTC »
right - and thats why you have to find the 'sweet spot' so you get even pressure but dont' take any chance 'crushing' the mold (not sure thats possible)...

I did several tests with the 3 in the vice and had slippage only on the first shot - after that (and 1/64th of a turn more) and there was no slipping - period.  like I said - seems the main gain is in single mold applications - as its about 1000 times faster than dealing with 2 seperate 'quick clamps' and is its own 'heat sink'...

And its not about saving money as much as it is "using the right tool for the right job" - with the quick clamps I'm constantly trying to position them + get them tight + have a place to set the molds to shoot them - then have a place to set the clamps to demold + rinse repeat.... I was starting to use the bench vise as a mini "jig" to hold the clamped up molds when it dawned on me I had a hell of a vice right there.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #24 on: 08/12/13 23:37 UTC »
The vice will work if one is careful. Keep in mind that a guy can put a tremndous amount of pressure on the molds using a vice and that can result on warping if the aluminum is hot when pressure is applied. You can also experience some venting issues along the line where the jaws make contact with the mold too....some vents are super thin and can close off darned easy.

I have a couple of bench vices but I only use the Irwin hand clamps for doing the plastics.

On those clamps, I measured out the most length of rail I will need for my clamping needs and drilled a hole and put a nut/bolt in the hole, then I cut off the extra rod. These clamps can get gangly when you're working in close quarters. Shortening the rails sure makes them easier to use.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline SYBaits

• Kicker
  • Great things come to those that Bait !
« Reply #25 on: 03/23/14 11:34 UTC »
Quote from: CasterCreekTackle on 05/02/12 18:57 UTC
<blockquote>Another little helpful tidbit. If your fixing to shoot up a bunch of baits and you only have one mold. That mold tends to heat up pretty quickly. I like to take two other molds and place them on oposite sides of the mold you plan on shooting with the sprue hole facing down so you don't get confused on which mold your shooting. The two other molds keep the one your shooting from not heating up so fast. Then when the other molds start getting warm I just trade them out with some cooler one on the shelf. Just my littl 2 cents.</blockquote>

Great tip !
« Last Edit: 03/26/14 07:20 UTC by SYBaits »
Southern Yankee Baits
www.facebook.com/SYCustomeBaits

Offline golfador

• Minnow
« Reply #26 on: 03/26/14 14:32 UTC »
I recently switched to these in the 18 inch after using the Irwins for a while. These grip stronger and are easier for me to break loose.

Offline TeamHillbilly

• Minnow
« Reply #27 on: 10/18/14 08:17 UTC »
If we were testing the above molds I would clamp the 4" Croaker, 3" Croaker and 3.75" Mud Bug with 2 clamps.  Put one on the front and one towards the back.  See picture below:

I would shoot the 7.5 inch Ribbed Ribbon Tail and 4.5 inch Big Foot separate from the 2" molds and also use 2 clamps.  See picture below:

If funds allow it, these are much heavier clamps and worth the investment in my opinion.  This is what I use when not testing - just making baits for myself as they are faster, hold more molds and last longer.

If I had a long mold in the mix I may use 2 of the bigger clamps and a smaller one just on the end of the long mold.

I would be curious to know how others are doing it as well.

Jason

well done man nice job with the pic's 8)

Offline vlada101

• Yearling
« Reply #29 on: 03/12/15 05:39 UTC »
I need advice , I want to buy clamps, and find this type :

1.Bahco  QCG-300  ( http://www.amazon.com/BAHCO-QCG-300-Quick-Pounds-Clamping/dp/B006MHF366 )
2.Bahco  QCB-600  ( http://www.amazon.com/BAHCO-QCB-600-Inch-Quick-Clamp/dp/B006MHEZME  )

what to buy? larger or smaller clamp?