Author Topic: Shelf life of plastic  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Grizz12

• Kicker
Shelf life of plastic
« on: 04/17/20 20:50 UTC »
I’m just wondering if there is a shelf life for plastic? Life became busy and I haven’t had time to make any plastic for a few years. Life is settling down now and I’m trying to get going again but my plastic is from 2014. I know I have to mix the heck out of it, but was wondering if anyone has any info for me. Thanks
"Anything that makes you giggle,smile,or laugh Buy It or Marry It!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Shelf life of plastic
« Reply #1 on: 04/17/20 21:03 UTC »
Mix it well and try it. There was a similar thread on this not long ago and I think they said it would be ok.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Grizz12

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 04/18/20 09:56 UTC »
Thanks ctom glad to hear from you

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/18/20 10:49 UTC »
Likewise Griz....don't be a stranger.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 04/18/20 23:08 UTC »
Hi Grizz12,
I had a batch of Crystal Clear plastisol for 3 years and finally got to use it all. As long as it is thoroughly mixed before "EVERY" session, it should be fine.
Welcome to custombaits.com.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/19/20 08:20 UTC »
Hey Grizz, it's been a while...

I found with relatively old plastic (both CC and Do-it) that it no longer produces clear baits... it produces a cloudiness akin to when clear baits get left in the sun... so shooting clear glitter baits are pretty much out, but all colors (even with color flake) are good to go, and texture remains the same.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 04/19/20 10:04 UTC »
Gotta mix it better E. I use a paint mixer in a 1/2" drill and mix in the pail for at least five minutes before I even think of filling my bench jugs. I don't see the clouding in mine and I have some CC medium I use on certain baits and its as good as new when mixed real well....like the 5 minutes or better.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 04/19/20 10:31 UTC »
I don't think mine is a mixing issue... perhaps it's because my plastic also sees extreme temps out in the shed?

Whatever it is, I can only guess a chemical change/breakdown because it also happens to baits that are left in the sun (even though shot perfectly clear), and since both baits (old plastic and sun exposed) end up looking the same, I'm guessing it to be the same issue.

The up side is these cloudy baits don't seem to affect my catch ratio any.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 04/19/20 12:05 UTC »
I was thinking to that if you knocked drinking that cheap S'connie beer while you're "creating".....
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 04/19/20 16:43 UTC »
If you are saying my eyes are cloudy, it's not from those golden-foamies... (I've only had one since Easter)... but it could be from my wife beating on me while I sleep.   :-[

Online Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 04/19/20 19:38 UTC »
I still have some plastic from 2016 that I mixed well today and shot baits with. All color and no clear baits. I did have some white that I slightly burned but was totally my fault. All the baits I shot seemed well enough, otherwise. I would say mix it well and shoot with confidence.

Offline Grizz12

• Kicker
« Reply #11 on: 04/25/20 20:22 UTC »
I have mixed some of the previously opened box and either not mixed well or maybe not mixed well in the past but that batch didn’t work so well. But then again my laser didn’t work properly, I broke out the digital instant read on the next batch. The next batch works but “e” is correct and no crystal clear, all some what cloudy. But thanks all, next adventure is hard packed colors.