Author Topic: Storing/Mixing Platisol?  (Read 1327 times)

Offline thamessxger

• Minnow
Storing/Mixing Platisol?
« on: 08/14/20 05:56 UTC »
So I’m just getting started with soft plastic craft. I have 1 gallon of plastisol from lureworks and I’m wondering 1) is it to be stored at room temperature? I’m gonna be making them in the garage but is it better to store inside I’m regards to temp and moisture? And 2) how do you mix 1 gallon jugs before pouring. I wanna make sure nothings settled, seems like shaking it would introduce a lot of air bubbles and pouring it first to stir it would defeat the purpose of stuff has already settled. Thank you in advance

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Storing/Mixing Platisol?
« Reply #1 on: 08/14/20 06:26 UTC »
1) The plastic won't freeze and every day heat won't hurt it so storage is really moot. I work in a garage shop that I heat as needed when I work so during the really cold months I move the plastic to the house so I can avoid any condensation issues while cooking the plastic.

2) A gallon jug you can shake well to mix any settled portions.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline thamessxger

• Minnow
« Reply #2 on: 08/14/20 06:31 UTC »
Thank you very much! Idk why I thought these really hot days would affect it.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 08/14/20 07:23 UTC »
Humidity can be an issue at times. If you have an air conditioned home or a dehumidified room in the house you can keep the large jug there to help eliminate humidity from the equation, but the plastic and colorants and other additives you may use will be quite stable in any temperature found in the lower 48.

I forgot to add, Welcome to the Do-It forums!
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 08/14/20 08:21 UTC »
Welcome aboard.

I make a point to rotate my plastic when I go out in the garage (once/day or so). If it's bottle I keep them on their side. The Do-it boxes make it really easy.
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 08/14/20 08:55 UTC »
I have a back that is so screwed up the shaking of plastic drives me crazy.  I solved my problems by bringing an old 5 gallon thermos cooler out of retirement (the kind you see at little league games or construction sites.  I pour my plastic in it and when I use it I stir by hand (i discovered that this is easier on the plastic and does not introduce as many bubbles as a vigorous shaking does).  I usually buy plastic 2 gallons at a time so no need to fill it up.  You can dispense it by dipping your cup in or through the spout.  Works for me
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 08/14/20 11:48 UTC »
I have a back that is so screwed up the shaking of plastic drives me crazy.  I solved my problems by bringing an old 5 gallon thermos cooler out of retirement (the kind you see at little league games or construction sites.  I pour my plastic in it and when I use it I stir by hand (i discovered that this is easier on the plastic and does not introduce as many bubbles as a vigorous shaking does).  I usually buy plastic 2 gallons at a time so no need to fill it up.  You can dispense it by dipping your cup in or through the spout.  Works for me
That's an awesome idea olsage (olsarge) :). Thanks!

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 08/15/20 08:26 UTC »

Super idea! And you could stir it with a standard paint stir paddle on you drill!
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 08/15/20 19:22 UTC »
Yeah you want to keep your plastic in a area where moisture doesn't get in.. I would not shake your plastic as it will cause bubbles.  I don't know how the plastic from lureworks is packaged but if it is in a jug you could probably  go over on bait plastics website  and  order a 1 gallon  drill mixer.  I know people that use these and they work really good. 

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 08/15/20 21:16 UTC »
Welcome to the forum thamessxger!