Author Topic: Powder Painting the Swing Jig  (Read 2725 times)

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Powder Painting the Swing Jig
« on: 11/17/13 19:50 UTC »
Obviously I'm pretty big on the Swing Jig..but it is a bit tough to pour and paint...at least for me... a guy with 3 thumbs. Any tips on how you have been finishing the jig??

I have been using the suggested Do-it hook and the KVD Grip Pin hook which are both wide gaps. I added a piece of magnetic tape from WalMart (back in the craft area) to help hold the hooks stationary. I glued the piece of magnet to the base area and when I place the hook the first time I crimped down on the handles really hard to score a slot in the magnet.

After I powder paint them I aggressively use the hook eye to scrap the paint from the wire and hook eye before I cure them in the oven. This has been giving me some nice clean wire and hook eyes.

When I just mold the Swing-Jig I cure the jigs by holding them in an alligator clip which I smashed the bottom flat and inserted into my TJ's Jig Clamp. I add the hooks later by carefully opening the eye of the hook with a pair of split ring pliers and close the eye with a pair of leader crimping pliers.

" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
Re: Powder Painting the Swing Jig
« Reply #1 on: 11/17/13 21:03 UTC »
Looks like you have it figured out to me...great thinking

Offline andrewlamberson

• Lunker
Re: Powder Painting the Swing Jig
« Reply #2 on: 11/17/13 21:34 UTC »
Gotta give CTom the credit for the magnet idea. He had posted it in another thread on the Swing Jig.
 I use them on my fly tieing desk to hold hooks ...and it made sense it would work for this...if I could find one thin enough.
« Last Edit: 11/17/13 21:38 UTC by andrewlamberson »
" You can't buy happiness...But you can buy fishing gear...and that's kind of the same thing"