Author Topic: Did well this year with different lure shapes and action using candle flame  (Read 1378 times)

Offline senkosam

• Keeper
I posted this before but figured it might be of interest considering the many lure shapes no one has produced molds for.
https://custombaits.com/index.php?topic=12181.0
Catching fish on them is a big plus as well as discovering new shapes/ profiles fish attack which are limitless in number.

Here are a few. (Pardon me if I showed a few of these in my earlier post using a candle flame and battery powered soldering iron to smooth the seam.)

To begin with, I assume all of you have seen or heard about French Fry worms used to catch bass:
flat on all sides, 3-4" in length. So earlier this year I figured: why do all grub bodies have to be round?  About five years ago I proved they didn't but must have forgotten all the fish I caught on a grub with four flat sides:

So, I cut a 1" segment from a FF worm for the body and attached it to flat straight tails and curl tails cut from other lures:

Crappie Magnet tail added to FF body:

...even added a claw from a craw lure to a FF body:

The claw has done well when added to many different round or flat bodies - (must be something about the quivering tips) :

Granted, selling lures that have no molds available is off the table but catching fish  on them a whole different story. As we all know, catching fish on our own creations blows away having to buy stuff that may or may not do nearly as well. All of the above have been proven to catch different fish species even on the same day in the same water. Use any of the suggestions from this or previous posts and find out for yourself. The proof is in the catch'n.
« Last Edit: 12/26/20 02:18 UTC by senkosam »

Offline senkosam

• Keeper
Candle flame method of joining soft plastic lure parts:
Hold the end of one and then the other over the flame for only a second or two. Hold join the parts making sure the sides are flush and in line. I always use a battery powered soldering iron to smooth and strengthen the seam so that after one fish attacks, the lure added doesn't start to tear off.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Nice work senkosam. Very creative and effective. Never ending possible combos. I like it. 👍

Offline senkosam

• Keeper
Thanks. Something to do in winter now that the ice is forming and weather a bit cold for these old bones. Of course I fool around with soft plastics all year round.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Sometimes something that’s outside the box from the norm is all it takes to get the fish to bite.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline senkosam

• Keeper
Sometimes something that’s outside the box from the norm is all it takes to get the fish to bite.
I've found that the examples illustrated ARE the norm once they've been proven fish catchers for most freshwater fish species. I don't leave the dock without them. Part of the reason they do well is maybe because I only fish waters that are shallower than 15' on average and I'm able to find fish in them regardless of the season. There are probably better soft plastic designs and lures in general for deeper water, but I can't catch fish in 30' or more to save my life.

It's just nice having a huge variety to chose from that anyone can catch fish with based on lure profile, size, and tail & body combinations that determine lure action at the slowest retrieve - even under a float.
« Last Edit: 12/09/20 10:24 UTC by senkosam »