Author Topic: Copic Markers  (Read 603 times)

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
Copic Markers
« on: 01/23/21 11:08 UTC »
I am considering getting a copic marker to play around with baits.  I like their simplicity of use and the fact that there is little clean up between color changes.  I have watched several you tube videos but I have yet to see one that discussed the issue of sealing.  Do they just dip them?  How about a fixative that art students use?  Just curious about how any of you folks that use the system deal with it.  TIA.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Copic Markers
« Reply #1 on: 01/23/21 11:27 UTC »
I'd spray the baits, then hit them with a hair dyer on high heat, just like air brush acrylics. When you've done all the baits just dip them in CS sealcoat and hang to dry.

Offline Cami

• Keeper
  • https://www.pinterest.it/MrCami/camis-lures/
« Reply #2 on: 01/23/21 14:27 UTC »
I use Copic Markers and similar alchol based markers with both blank plastic crankbait and soft plastic (mainly with a white coloured base), and with both raw materials the same tecnique, that is I spray the markers with Spritzer, a handly pump. In such way you can better control the quantity of color and create texture like those made with an airbrush, even if it isn't so accurate.
With plastic crankbait I seal the paint spraying Plastidip clear, with soft baits the cold coat 50% MEK + 50% PVC Glue.
Spritzer Pump is really funny to use.
Bye.

Cami

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/23/21 15:17 UTC »
If the copic colors are alcohol based the CS Seal Coat may cause them to run even when well dried I'd do a sample spray on a jig head, then try the CS dip and drip to see if running is going to be an issue. Anything solvent based will probably run.

I just noticed that this is in the soft baits area. If you're spraying soft plastics just give them a dip in clear plastic. That's all I do when I spray soft plastic with acrylic.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 01/23/21 16:10 UTC »
Yeah, I am still not completely sure which direction I want to go (airbrush vs copic).  I may just go airbrush with water based colors and a dip in clear a sol.  A water based paint is still faster and easier to clean than some of the acrylics.  Decisions, decisions.lol.   Thanks for the help.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline OIR

• Keeper
« Reply #5 on: 01/28/21 14:35 UTC »
I use  Penol 700-750 eco pens
and ghost powder pigment from Hemway

same bait form 2 angle:

and a homemade gas burner to melt it in .
so the bait is 3 layers/times melt in.