Author Topic: Anyone figure out how to make a dye like Spike-It ?  (Read 455 times)

Offline senkosam

• Keeper
I added a few drops of plastic dye to acetone but no go. Acetone is one ingredient of Spike-It which is very expensive when considering the cost with shipping. I still have quite a few colors left but getting low on a few others.
« Last Edit: 03/19/21 07:15 UTC by senkosam »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Anyone figure out how to make a dye like Spike-It ?
« Reply #1 on: 03/18/21 13:33 UTC »
Try a small amount of lacquer thinner to see if that will help out..

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 03/18/21 15:26 UTC »
I tried worm colorants mixed with clear pvc pipe glue thinned down with mek. It worked to an extent for me. Just to messy and smelly

Offline senkosam

• Keeper
« Reply #3 on: 03/19/21 07:22 UTC »
Lacquer thinner my do it as long as it does something to the plastic to allow the color to be absorbed slightly. I thought for sure the acetone would work - and it might have if used to dilute Spike-It - but the next day the color wiped off completely.

Never heard of mek.

Offline Cami

• Keeper
  • https://www.pinterest.it/MrCami/camis-lures/
« Reply #5 on: 03/20/21 08:08 UTC »
I tried worm colorants mixed with clear pvc pipe glue thinned down with mek. It worked to an extent for me. Just to messy and smelly
This French recipe - I use 50% PVC Glue/50% MEK + some drop of color that you prefer or powder pigment (better) - is good as soft bait bonding system and as clear cold coat if you don't use a dipping in hot clear plastisol, of course you can also add glitter to such kind of coat. The unique thing that I haven't been able to do, has been to spray it with airbrush because MEK is too volatile, I'm used to apply it with a brush over the surface of soft bait.
Bye.

Cami

Offline senkosam

• Keeper
« Reply #6 on: 03/20/21 09:43 UTC »
Thanks Cami. I may get hard up to try your method once the two colors are gone. But I wonder if I dilute them with a bit of acetone, if they will still stain the plastic.

Update: NOPE !
« Last Edit: 04/01/21 07:32 UTC by senkosam »