Author Topic: Jig mold sizes?  (Read 192 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Minnow
Jig mold sizes?
« on: 04/19/21 15:48 UTC »
Why are so many jig molds of various size in one?
If I want to make a certain size jig then that is the size I want to make, not just 2 or 4 at a time. Too much hassle to make 2 or 4 at a time. I want all the same size. I don't see many jig molds like that?

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
Re: Jig mold sizes?
« Reply #1 on: 04/19/21 18:28 UTC »
Hi Erik,

Welcome to our forum...

I'm presuming the vast majority of tackle crafters dabble in the hobby and want multiple sizes for multiple applications in as few molds as possible... this was the way it was with me in the beginning, but now I've conceded and built storage to accommodate my hobby. 

Given production molds do make it easier on the fella that is mass-producing, demand for such molds likely is not enough for the company to create them in every category (but only for the most popular molds).  Do-it is a good company and listens to the input of its crafters, so feel free to request what you desire... if your desire for a particular mold strikes a chord with crafters and feedback is strong, that mold idea has a good chance of becoming a reality.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/19/21 18:32 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums eriksat1.

Many molds are designed to offer a wide selection of weights, but one at a time, for the hobbyist. Certain molds offer several cavities of one size because they have a higher demand. Many of the ball head sizes are three, four or even 7 or 8 cavities. Some of the Finesse Heads are multi-cavity of one size. Granted, there are not a lot of molds that offer more than one cavity of one size but its demand that governs which molds the multi-cavity of a size that drives their existence.

You can always drop the company a note here and ask for a particular mold to be made with more than a single cavity of a certain weight be made and your request will not go un-noticed however whether it will be considered will depend almost solely on over-all demand.

Offline 21xdc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/19/21 18:37 UTC »
I would not want to buy 8 different molds for the same style head... They offer "Production molds" in certain styles... I like how Do It caters to the small guy. Plenty other mold makers for what you want... You just pay 5-10 times more.

Offline Canga~

• Keeper
« Reply #4 on: 04/19/21 20:22 UTC »
i just make for myself, and the only multi size mold i have is the original midwest finesse jig mold, i wont even consider buying a non-production style mold. to make any number of jigs/sinkers 1 at a time would take way too long.

production molds are great, i wish they made more options. also wish the 3/16 or 1/4 finesse drop shot mold was in stock somewhere right now!!

Offline eriksat1

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 04/20/21 09:45 UTC »
I mainly make crappie jigs for myself and family to use I don't sell them. I mostly use no collar round ball 1/16 oz, 1/24 oz, and 1/32 oz. Between my family and myself I might go through 100 jigs a year. I don't want to make them one at a time. Maybe I am not looking deep enough into the catalog at production jig molds? If I have to pay more for a mold that will at least make 6 or 8 at a time I will.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 04/20/21 09:59 UTC »
In the Do-It catalog you'll find item nuMbers 3506 AND 3507. tHE 3506 MAKES 4 SIZE 1/32 AND 4 1/24. The 3507 mold makes 4 1/16 and 4 3/32 heads. These use the optional wires. Without the wires you'll see a tiny amount of flash at the area of where the insert would be but it nips off very easy with a nail clipper. Nice heads. I'm a crappie angler and these are the two molds I use more than any, however I do use the keepers as I fish plastic exclusively.

Offline eriksat1

• Minnow
« Reply #7 on: 04/20/21 10:14 UTC »
I also have the mold that makes the 4- 1/16 and 4- 3/32 no collar with wire keeper. I like it, but I don't use the 3/32 size. At least I can make 4 at a time. I didn't realize that you can use them without the wire keeper, I will have to try that. I also mainly use plastics, I wish they made those wire keepers a little bit smaller, on a 1-1/2" grub they tear them open a bit putting them on. I tried grinding off a little of the keeper barb but it is time consuming.
« Last Edit: 04/20/21 10:21 UTC by eriksat1 »

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 04/20/21 11:56 UTC »
Erik....

Nip about 1/2 of the wire's barb off with a small, sharp side cutter to prevent the tearing on very small baits. Done as seen in this picture you can mount the larger Wax Wiggler on the heads without tearing and the 1.5" Thump-Its hang on very well nipped of or left as is. I have a couple other baits that are thin and will balk at the keeper left as is but nipped down they work with it like a charm. I also carry a small bottle of super glue when I fish. The merest drip of it on the wire along the hook's shank will bond a plastic on the hook like its welded and I can catch a lot of fish before things begin to get dicey.