Author Topic: Questions for the Bass Guys  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
Questions for the Bass Guys
« on: 04/21/21 09:37 UTC »
I normally do not fish for Bass, or even in freshwater, but my new building has a 4-6 acre detention pond behind it that my brother, dad and my self have been fishing in the afternoons. So far we have caught some small bass and one fairly large crappie using crank baits and some random plastics. We have seen some bass in the 4-5# range being pulled out. Here is my question(s), what are 2-3 molds I would need for bass?

Not sure if it matters at all, but we are just casting from the bank.  I have a bunch of different size swim bait on grub molds that I use in the bay systems. I also just acquired a pretty cool shrimp mold from Epic Molds.  Not sure if it will have any crossover. 

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
Re: Questions for the Bass Guys
« Reply #1 on: 04/21/21 11:18 UTC »
For me, if I am only choosing 3 molds it comes down to versatility. 

1. Senko or stick bait style lure
-Whether Texas rigged, wacky rigged, shaky head and the list goes on the senko is a proven fish catcher and an absolutely easy, do-nothing bait.

2. Craw style bait
-perfect Texas rigged by itself or as a jig/chatterbait trailer.

3. Swimbait
-I prefer the 3.5" ripper mold.  This is simply a very versatile size that will catch both small and big fish alike.  Again, versatility is important to me and this bait is easily fished on small swimbait hooks to remain weedless, on open jig heads, threaded on the shank of a swim jig or chatterbait or on an underspin.

These 3 baits will allow you to cover water, pick pieces of cover apart and are all proven fish catchers.  I know you already said you don't fish much fresh water but if there are certain styles of fishing you have more confidence in (moving baits vs working baits on the bottom) I would advise you to choose baits that fit the style you are most confident in as well.

Offline hawgthumper

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 04/21/21 11:45 UTC »
Definitely a Stick Worm mold. Then probably a Swimbait mold. And probably a Ned worm mold. Although you can just cut about 3 inches off a regular stick bait and use it for a Ned. If you choose that option then I’d go with some kind of finesse worm.

Online Lamar

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 04/21/21 12:23 UTC »
 Bass will eat a Senko year round. I would weightless Texas rig with a 3/0 hook. You can fish any cover with that. Colors I would keep it simple and go black or green pumpkin.

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 04/21/21 14:03 UTC »
I would like to add that if you can only have one stick bait, I would go with the 6" version.  That way you can cut it down if need be or fish the full size and potentially upsize your catch.  I have caught plenty of small bass on the 6" version so don't let that intimidate you.

Online basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 04/21/21 14:06 UTC »
Stick Worm
Curl Tail worm
Lizard.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 04/21/21 14:42 UTC »
Seeing as how it has not yet been mentioned.  Senko, senko, and more Senkos..  Texas rigged around structure then wacky when they tire of that.  With it being a small body of water you should soon see a weed/scum line forming just a few feet from the shoreline.  Position yourself so you can fish the outside edge of the slop bass will be inside of it waiting for lunch.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 04/21/21 22:38 UTC »
Seeing as how it has not yet been mentioned.  Senko, senko, and more Senkos..  Texas rigged around structure then wacky when they tire of that.  With it being a small body of water you should soon see a weed/scum line forming just a few feet from the shoreline.  Position yourself so you can fish the outside edge of the slop bass will be inside of it waiting for lunch.

A craw would be my number one, but I would also consider a WATZ-IT (or Fluke) bait very close behind... and although the stick (senko) has been mentioned a lot (with good reason) I would round out my top three with the Kutter because it can be used as either a swim or stick.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 04/22/21 09:11 UTC »
A craw would be my number one, but I would also consider a WATZ-IT (or Fluke) bait very close behind... and although the stick (senko) has been mentioned a lot (with good reason) I would round out my top three with the Kutter because it can be used as either a swim or stick.

Man I had forgotten all about that Kutter worm,  Old age I guess.  I am gonna order that mold (one of these days).
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 04/22/21 09:52 UTC »
Thanks for the input.  The sad part is, over the years I had the senko, couple sizes of lizards, several of the carrots, some craws and some other creature molds and tubes. Tried to take some stuff to the salt that didnt pan out and got some to make for buddies. If I had only kept those molds i would be in pretty good shape.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 04/24/21 07:08 UTC »
Man I had forgotten all about that Kutter worm,  Old age I guess.  I am gonna order that mold (one of these days).

Or maybe paint fumes?

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 04/24/21 08:40 UTC »
Or maybe paint fumes?

Ha, water based paint.

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
« Reply #12 on: 04/24/21 14:22 UTC »
Thanks for the input.  The sad part is, over the years I had the senko, couple sizes of lizards, several of the carrots, some craws and some other creature molds and tubes. Tried to take some stuff to the salt that didnt pan out and got some to make for buddies. If I had only kept those molds i would be in pretty good shape.
Look at the essential series molds & you can get them back & be cheap in them too. I have several essential series molds including the slick shiner mold & they all shoot great & it doesn't bother me in the least that they're not a shiny bait. They're  pretty nice very affordable option in my opinion.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 04/25/21 16:49 UTC »
Ha, water based paint.

That's even worse...  ::)

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #14 on: 05/08/21 10:21 UTC »

Thanks for the reminder efish. i ordered the kutter  this morning.  If the stars align should get it next week.