Author Topic: Non fish related  (Read 920 times)

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
Non fish related
« on: 05/01/21 01:18 UTC »
How many of you us a tankless water heater vs old style tank.
I know some of the cons most is the cost difference and volume of water you use daily to worst tankless.
« Last Edit: 05/01/21 01:24 UTC by WALLEYE WACKER »
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
Re: Non fish related
« Reply #1 on: 05/01/21 10:18 UTC »
I just replaced my water heater and stayed old style. I inquired about tankless and the cost was quite a bit more not only for the tank but for the installation as well.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 05/01/21 11:01 UTC »
That’s what I’ve been hearing for the most part also Apdriver.

Offline slowguy

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 05/01/21 17:39 UTC »
I've had a tankless hot water heater for several years now.  Having two boys in the house, there is always a need hot water, come bath time.  At this point, it sure is nice to always have hot water available. So far I've yet to find a downside for this unit.  Aside from the start up costs.  Another plus is, I have hot water available in the garage, so I can wash items like the car with hot water.  Which is a wonderful thing in the spring and fall of the year.  A side from the cost of the unit, the savings I get from not heating water that I am not using is great.  I found that I really like the unit.  I'll answer any questions anyone has about tankless hot water heaters.  Just ask.   

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 05/02/21 01:03 UTC »
Thanks slowguy.

Offline Slow Burn

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 05/03/21 11:14 UTC »
I also have a tankless. As slowguy mentions, you pretty much have instant hot water. I also know that this is not the case for most parts of the county, but down here in Texas they put water heaters in the attic to save space in the garage since we don't have basements. The idea of having a traditional water heater blow in the attic and have 50-80ish gallons of water coming through my ceiling was very nerve racking. Also a pro is the size tankless we have for the house, we can have 3 things all running at the same time and never run out (any combo of shower, tub, washing machine, dish washer). Perfect since its just the wife and I.

One big con that I experienced during the big freeze that hit us a couple months back. Since its never happened before in my lifetime, and 11 degrees for a few days changes things, a small plastic fitting inside cracked inside the unit.  It leaked a bit, not much before i noticed it. Again, it only holds about 5 gallons and not 80 like a normal tank. Pretty much owner error, didn't even think to get up there to drain the unit during the freeze.  Wouldn't of had to do it for a regular tank.  Anyways, there was no replacement parts available so i had to replace the entire unit.

So far that was the only downfall to the unit. Obviously it was an expensive to replace, but I definitely prefer it to a traditional tank. 

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #6 on: 05/03/21 11:33 UTC »
I live in the north and have been upgrading things while so that I won’t have to do it again I’m down to the water heater and the siding..

Offline MT204

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 05/03/21 11:57 UTC »
Personally speaking I'm still a big fan of the older non-electronic tank gas hot water heaters.
In fact just replaced a "leaker" with a used one just to not have the electronic ignition.
Reason being if/when the power goes out you still have hot water.
The gas never goes out.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 05/03/21 20:04 UTC »
I agree with MT204, gas water heater.

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 05/03/21 20:30 UTC »
It’s been my experience over the years with traditional gas water heaters, they don’t dump 30+ gallons of water. If they are in the attic you should have a pan under them. As they age, the liner develops pin holes and they will seep/leak. At the 10 year mark you should start keeping an eye on them. Of course, the one at my duck camp is 40 years old. They don’t make them like that anymore.