Author Topic: 2 color 2" thumper fry  (Read 2151 times)

Offline jl3140

• Lunker
2 color 2" thumper fry
« on: 10/05/12 17:11 UTC »
Does anybody make these? If so, how do you make them? Hand pour the belly?

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: 2 color 2" thumper fry
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/12 17:43 UTC »
I have the mold and hand pour the belly section as well as cut off the tail sections to re-inject the body portion. Very easy on either account. With the body section just a hair larger than a 1.75 inch small fry, its easy to play with colors. You can make some outstanding baits in this mold.

I'll note here, that if you are doing the tail trim to make the body a different color, leave the tail color shoot in the mold and trim while in it. That tail does not like going back into the little slot it comes out of.

The thumper has been doing well up here in Minnesota, having caught both large and small mouth basses, white bass, catfish, northern, walleye, sauger, sunfish and crappies. One week ago today we used thumpers on the Mississippi River and caught sunfish that inhaled the whole bait!
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline jl3140

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/05/12 18:01 UTC »
Thanks, I tried to put the tail back in the mold... It didnt work very well LOL. Too bad there isn't a laminate plate to inject just the belly.
I like this bait for white bass and northern also. I like to fish them on road runner jigs(I don't know if thats the technical name) and also on these things that look like the top of a spinnerbait, but are smaller and clip onto a jighead.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 10/05/12 18:17 UTC »
You are talking about safety pin spinners and they work great in some instances. I have not done the thumper using one yet but now its on my list.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline jl3140

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/05/12 18:18 UTC »
I caught a decent sized northern last weekend using one. I didn't have anything to measure with though  :(