Author Topic: Need advise, just starting out  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Emefirepower

• Minnow
Need advise, just starting out
« on: 12/06/21 16:34 UTC »
Good afternoon all. After decades of not fishing, my son  has grown up enough and asked me dad can we go fishing sometime? Well we went out and caught a couple jacks and had a blast. This set the spark in me again. Bought an old clunker boat, that i got running after sitting in the bush for many years.  It worked fine this year.  So I've been buying tackle and supplies here and there on sale or through auction.  Then searching YouTube, i watched guys making their own.  Well from reading the topics here, i want to expand my hobby and make some jigs and sinkers.  I live in Saskatchewan, Canada.  I normally fish Jacks, Walleye, Perch, Rainbow Trout, and a few others.  I need your advice on which molds should i start with?  Walleye mold, Eyre mold, ball, or which others??  And locating stores that sell them around here is tough, unless i should look for used ones here, or possibly online?   I use bottom bouncers for snags, so will make that as well.
I have a Lee pot already from making  kart racing weights.  Will look into getting an oven too.   
Any advice is appreciated.

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: Need advise, just starting out
« Reply #1 on: 12/06/21 17:57 UTC »
Welcome to the Do-It forums!

'm a proponent of keeping it simple so for a jig mold I'll suggest the multi weight 7 cavity  RHB-7-A ballhead jig mold. This will make jigs for a very wide range of fishing needs from walleye right down to panfish. Hooks are easily obtained for this mold. I have only used one sinker mold and have used the weights from it for decades: the WS-10-A walking sinker mold. This mold also casts a wide range of weights from 1/8 to 1-1/2 ounces. It won't get any simpler than this.

I'd imagine others here will chime in with their suggestions and I am certain that none will disappoint so sit back and wait a day or two for more input.

Again, welcome aboard the Do-It forums!
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast