Author Topic: The mad tom experience  (Read 292 times)

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
The mad tom experience
« on: 05/13/22 15:49 UTC »
I took off work today to try and beat the incoming rain for a nice half day river float in the kayak. Being it was the maiden voyage of 2022 it was more of a dusting the cobwebs off for more trips this year hopefully. The bite was slow. I threw a few different styles of baits but one that I was most excited to use was the 5” mad tom.  Long back story to this mold but bugmolds.com came through in fine fashion in the middle of an active war nonetheless!

Lost a few smallmouth and boated 3. The bait pictured was poured in changeable motor oil with a light grit belly. The bleed over into the belly from the motor oil makes this thing look insane darting and hunting in the water. The weighted hook is also my creation from a do it mold. The fish taped at 14” and had quite the belly on it. It even had about a 3” crayfish in his throat that was beautiful molting blue back and red belly.

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Re: The mad tom experience
« Reply #1 on: 05/13/22 16:29 UTC »
Nice way to start. Beautiful bait. Beautiful fish!

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 05/13/22 16:59 UTC »
Nice catch! Is that bait one you brewed up?
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Fishermanbt

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 05/13/22 18:16 UTC »
Yes that is the “one” I fought all winter trying to make a workable prototype design, 3D print it and a working mold. Frustration set in followed by countless words of foulness sessions. So, I bit the bullet and had an aluminum single cavity cut from the bait I had.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 05/13/22 20:51 UTC »
That is a BEAUTIFUL fiddler you got there... NICE CRAFTING!