Author Topic: Cabin trip  (Read 110 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Cabin trip
« on: 06/09/22 10:38 UTC »
Ma and I vacated home last Sunday and drove up to the cabin in Two Harbors. When we got there we found it, generally, too wet to mow anything but the back yard area. Lots of water yet from the late spring melt and the huge amount of snow that was in the yard. The temps were very nice but we could nnot be outside because of the clouds of mosquitos, buffalo gnats and black flies. And I do mean clouds of them. We've never seen them this bad. Ever.

Of course I hit Lake Superior at the breakwater in Two Harbors but found the cottonwood lint and the fluff from blooming aspens in a solid mat extending about 100 feet into the lake on the lake side of the breakwater. I could fish the shallower harbor side but the fish were on the lake side. All three trips down to fish were plagued with the crap so I gave up.

On a plus side we had a fairly large bear come visit the cabin each night.  He didn't give us a daytime peek so no pictures. And on my last quick trip to the wall to cast a river otter hopped up on the walkway right at my feet. In fact is rolled across my shoe and got my foot wet. It put on quite a show for me and a few walkers on the top deck. Of course Careole forgot her phone that morning and had mine to make some calls so I could not get a picture. Later that day after dinner we took one of our little drives and found ourselves needing to turn around  because of bad road. I found a field drive and pulled in and what should hop out of a brushpile not far away but a beautiful male wolf. Maybe 60 feet away. Typical wolf coloration. I put him at about 150-170 pounds, maybe 40-42" at the shoulder. Never showed any real concern with us and had we had the phone, any phone, we could have gotten several nice pictures.

Such is life. We'll be returning in a couple weeks, hoping the water is cleaner and warmer and that the bugs have found their way into bats' diets. It was a fun trip in spite of the phone issues and what Mother Nature handed out.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Lamar

• Lunker
Re: Cabin trip
« Reply #1 on: 06/09/22 15:22 UTC »
 I'm jealous on having a cabin to go hang out in. I have a trick I use when the cottonwood lint is out on the water. I take a bobber stopper and put it about two feet above my lure. When the lint try's to ride your line it stops at the bobber stopper. It's not fool proof but works pretty well.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: Cabin trip
« Reply #2 on: 06/09/22 15:45 UTC »
You'd have a football size wad of crap on each cast doing that Lamar. All of Minnesota is having serious issues with the lint right now. I'm staying busy in the garden/lawn work early while its cool, then head to the shop. I enjoy reading and just spent an hour in my chair in the shade with a nice breeze. I'll put off any fishing until we head back up again in a couple weeks.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast