Author Topic: You might want to try clear plastic lures - hard or soft  (Read 109 times)

Offline senkosam

• Kicker
Years ago I caught bass on a clear plastic Zara Spook - a splashy surface lure. Even caught bass on a clear diving crankbait made by Jim Rogers. Last year I thought: why not clear soft plastic lures? You might think that they would be invisible underwater and especially in murky water but I found that fish detect them with no problem and work as well as any colored lures - even opaque colors. Here are a few that did well:
double-dipped curl tail:

undipped curl tails right from mold - one with spinner:

hybrid Magnet tail added to Mo Magic mold body:

molded taper tail added to same body:

Clear plastic body segment from Mo Magic mold:

thin straight-tail from mold:

cone tail segment added to a grub body:

and a clear plastic wacky-rigged stick:

Every one of the above were capable of catching fish equally well after fish are located. I guess it's all about beauty in the eye of the beholder.

« Last Edit: 06/23/22 08:37 UTC by senkosam »

Offline Lines

• Lunker
Re: You might want to try clear plastic lures - hard or soft
« Reply #1 on: 06/23/22 15:22 UTC »
Clearly a job beautifully done. :)
Must be the water displacement that enables fish to locate and attack the clear baits.

Online ctom

• Lunker
Re: You might want to try clear plastic lures - hard or soft
« Reply #2 on: 06/23/22 16:54 UTC »
Clear plastic refracts [bends light] differently in water than the water itself so fish can see it. Clear with a little hi lite is a dandy natural bait, one of my favorite cold water walleye bait colors. Adding a smidge of the uv enhancer powder is also a dandy fish catching machine.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast