Author Topic: people on the forum....  (Read 21805 times)

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
people on the forum....
« on: 11/06/13 21:50 UTC »
I spend a lot of time on here reading, rereading post, looking at pics and I mean really looking! I blow them up zoom in ect. The talent on here is amazing !!! If you look at the plastic side CTOM, Matt ,Andrew, Denny ,ghost micro jig, pjmcla  Justin, crabby and the many other old salts are well as good as it gets. I mean they are to plastic what George Jones is to a love song. Then you look at people like Shane,black hawk and the others who may not have been pouring or on the site for as long as the ones mentioned above and they are durn good and can hold their own with the big boys. Yawls plastics are perfect, original and on the cutting edge of design.
  Then let's move to the paint folks and you have to mention Drew that dude is one ear loss away from Vincent van gogh. I let's just say a blue gill would spawn anytime with his pattern. Then the powder folks can straight melt some paint, putting the extra stank on it.
 Well we cant forget the hair /jig folks ... smalljaw, kipbass and the others who keep old school knowledge with today's cutting edge tactics. These cats are good! The ties are perfect ,its not just hair on a hook its pride that you can see on each wrap.
Then the miscellaneous thing like  Brent's custom rod or the mold mods are amazing!
This gathering of people that I mentioned and all the others on here are amazing artist who could kick main stream box store companies butts on anything related to lures. Long post long keep up the good work yawl are the best of the best, and the back bone to us all is companies like Do-It and other suppliers who have faith in the little man --- awesome jobs ---- atta boys

Offline Denny Welch

• Lunker
    • Believe Baits
Re: people on the forum....
« Reply #1 on: 11/06/13 22:39 UTC »
I'm proud to be named with the others.  I feel like a fraud in their company, but proud none the less.  Good post, Mo.

P.S.  Who helped you with the big words?
« Last Edit: 11/06/13 22:41 UTC by Denny Welch »
Until next time.

Denny

denny@believebaits.com
www.believebaits.com

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 11/06/13 22:50 UTC »
Every one on this forum old or new at lead or plastic has all made this what it is. The knowledge of all here is amazing. mike 8)
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Shane70

• Kicker
    • Shane's Hobby Shop
« Reply #3 on: 11/07/13 02:38 UTC »
Thanks Mo.
What you said means a lot to me. As Denny Said, I'm proud to be named with the others.
  When I first got into doing fishing lures, Its because I was "Channel Surfing" on the YouTube and came across a local boy here that airbrushed his own crankbaits. After watching his vids (with the wife) we decided, If he can do it, So can we..... So We bought top of the line airbrush (Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH) with a very good compressor (Iwata Power Jet Pro). Then added a few blank crankbaits and accessories, and were off. Didn't take long till we both were hooked. My crankbaits were selling as fast as I could paint them.. Then I hit a road block. For a few months, No sales. I had to do something... YOUTUBE TIME.....
Then I saw a few people making their own molds and making soft plastic baits.... Cool, I can do that. But my wife wanted me to look more into the hobby before I got started. That's when I found Do-It. They actually had aluminum molds of lures and they said they never wear out like the rubber molds do. WOW, I thought to myself. I can make tons just with a couple of molds. So, I promised my wife, If she lets me get a few aluminum mold, I can make a lot of lures and get my money back in no time... ;D  Well she bought it, hook line and sinker.. I did managed to find someone who was selling off some of his stuff inorder to get himself a better injecting method. So, I got a few molds, color, scents and glitter for pennies on the dollar. I purchased 1 gallon of Bass  Tackle plastic... Then I was hooked...
 Breaking my promise to my wife, I ordered some more molds and a few other things from Do-It. Before too long bought some more 2nd hand molds.  another order...  Did I mention this hobby is an addiction.. lol
  By now I think my wife has caught on to my scheme. I haven't sold hardly anything. I gave away more than I sold.. But Im having a blast just doing it, Making lures. Either painting my crankbaits or making up some plastic lures. I knew I was never gonna come close to getting my money back, I just couldn't tell the wife that...lol

Am I as good as the old guys... Denny, CTom, Jerry, Just to name a few.. No, not even close. But I still have a lot to learn and Im having fun doing it.

So, I will be here from time to time, showing off what I made, and even looking what everyone else has made. I love reading the stories of everyone here. I love how everyone helps everyone. Nobody keep secrets on how they made that little guy. I feel like this is a place where I can be me...

Thanks To Jerry and the Do-It Guys and to all the Forum members for everything you have given me. A new hobby, a Past time and a new way to make new friends.

Offline Justin9j

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 11/07/13 05:49 UTC »
Mo. Your name belongs with the rest of them. 

Offline kipbass

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 11/07/13 05:51 UTC »
I'm proud to be named with the others.  I feel like a fraud in their company, but proud none the less.  Good post, Mo.

I'm with Denny on this one..What I've done here, I've learned from others here, mainly the jigs..I do appreciate the post though.

Offline MO QWACK

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 11/07/13 11:52 UTC »

Denny the wife has a masters in education which comes in pretty handy!
Me... baby how do you spell  of
Wife ... O. F
Me... ooooh then why the hell does it sound like there is a  V in there  ;D

Offline pjmcla

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 11/07/13 14:44 UTC »
Thanks for the compliment Mo.  I don't really deserve it.  There are so many members with more talent than I posses.  I just plug along and occasionally something looks decent. 
I can also sympathize with you on having a wife who is an English teacher; mine is as well.   

Offline ifish

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 12/21/14 00:42 UTC »
Great post to recognize such  great talent and artists. I think everyone would be surprised how many big company's  look at this site to get ideas from everyone.

Offline DanielAbolf

• Minnow
Are vibrating lures more effective in attracting fish compared to traditional ones? What are some tips and techniques to maximize their effectiveness in different fishing conditions?

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 02/13/24 13:42 UTC »
There are times that vibrating lures just shine, others they seem to be just a lot of work. I'm a crappie guy so when it comes to the lipless vibrating lures, like the Zviber or a Rapala micro series baits I tend to have quite an assortment and yes I use them quite a bit, mostly in the very early spring shortly after ice out and again in the late fall just prior to ice up. Crappies at these times are more likely to be found at specific depths and the vibrating lures are easy to get in the zone vertically and worked when the fish are.

If I was going to offer any one suggestion with the lipless vibe baits, don't over work them. Quick short lift, hold a sec then drop on a tight line. Wait 30 seconds and repeat.

I'll also welcome you to Do-It's Custom Baits forums.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #11 on: 02/13/24 14:13 UTC »
Welcome DanielAbolf!

I don't use them a lot, if you are talking about vibrating blade types, and IMO, the 3 main things that you can vary, are the size, the amount of flash & as Ctom has said, the cadence/technique for how you use them. IMO, they are best as a vertical type lure, where you may not be casting them very far, and that's particularly effective in deeper water. So, it's more like jigging than casting.

You can certainly cast & retrieve them, but I think that quick fall & rise type technique that Ctom has mentioned is possibly the most effective way to use these vibrating blade type lures. Many folks call that a yoyo retrieve.

Now, vibrating lures can also cover other types, such as the lipless crankbaits, Rat L Trap or similar lures. Those are a better lure for casting & retrieving, but can be a lure that you can yoyo back if you have the patience for it. You need to us ethe sinking versions for that, as the floating types will only let you do a long cadence yoyo type retrieve, because they don't sink well. I usually cast & crank them back and any other action change is with the rod.

I mentioned size, and the Do It molds vibrating lure molds will make different sizes/weights. Sometimes, the smaller lures out perform the bigger, especially in cold water. I don't know why that is, but that's what I have seen. I'll use them all and have the various older molds, and feel they all have a different type of vibration & "wiggle" to them. The only Do It Molds type I don't have is the Ultra Minnow style.

If you have any experience fishing crankbaits, depending on the body shape they also have different wiggle & what vibration or noise they produce can vary, even if the lures are close in size. So, that's why lure companies make these different lure types, and IMO, why having different vibrating blade lures can be the difference between catching on them or not.

I make some & add the flashy decals, and some are just painted, and sometimes one produces better than the other. I try not to presume to know, on any given day, which is the better choice, and try to let the fish tell me by rigging a few rods & using the different lures. I have been surprised at times when a plain white lure out produced one with the flashy decals.

I don't have any photos of any that I have made unfortunately.