Author Topic: Drop Shot Bait Size  (Read 10827 times)

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: Drop Shot Bait Size
« Reply #15 on: 01/30/16 18:11 UTC »
Carl, If your drop shotting six inch flukes in the grass, how are you rigging them on the hook? Texsposed? Also what pound test line? Most everyone I know uses between 4--8 pound test.

Offline Dfiene1

• Kicker
« Reply #16 on: 01/30/16 19:05 UTC »
I regularly rig a drop shot on 20lb fluoro with beaver style baits in the grass. I use a decoy brand ewg drop shot hook

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Carl

• Kicker
« Reply #17 on: 01/30/16 20:16 UTC »
Muskygary, when I drop shot in tall grasses, I use a flipping technique. I will use two different hooks based on the bait. Hooks can change the action and fall of the bait and how it sits once your on the bottom.  For nose hooking, I will use a 2/0 circle or octopus. The bait I use for that are the zoom 3x flukes. When I use this method, it's a quick flip, shake, and retrieve. I'll run it using clock method from 9-3 and then move forward 10ft and do-it again. The line I use is 14lb fireline with 10lb floral. Never broke unless I run into those toothy critters. When I use the do-it fluke, then I use 3/0 EWG. But using this method allows me to cover a bit more ground with the bait in the water and not get hung up so much. The skinny carrot also works great on this technique. I hope maybe some of what I do can help you.

Offline Carolina Fisher

• Kicker
« Reply #18 on: 01/31/16 07:53 UTC »
Thanks Carl , I plan on trying it , I saw a guy on a tv show drop shotting beavers in timber whackng Largemouth . It and the fluke are gonna get tried this spring . I'm guessing your using the 10lb fluro as a leader ? That's what I do backed with 20lb braid .

Offline Carl

• Kicker
« Reply #19 on: 01/31/16 14:04 UTC »
Yes the floral is for the leader.  You could probably get away without it because it's a quick presentation, but why change what works.

Offline MonteSS

• Lunker
« Reply #20 on: 05/14/16 20:47 UTC »
I cut down the doit spear tails