Author Topic: Got cold?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Got cold?
« on: 02/07/21 12:07 UTC »
I woke up to a balmy -17 degrees this morning at 5 and now at noon its still -7. Yesterday was only remotely warmer and I fired up the heat in the work room  and did some Ice Ticklers in a few colors. These have been, hands down, the best plastic I have ever put on an ice jig. The larger size of the Wax Wiggler, cut off just ahead of the last body bead, is yet another ice fishing hottie.

The colors on the left are glow colors: glow red on the bottom and glow purple on the top. That glow purple is one sleeper color that most people are not even remotely aware of and it drives crappies nuts.

The purple and blood red are another couple colors that many people find favor with.

I had the picture all framed up nice and just as I hit the button to take the picture the wind gave things a little push. I would have taken another snap but figured ya'll would get the idea of the picture.

After allowing these to cold cure a couple days I will nip them from the runners and store them in a jar of Gulp juice.

« Last Edit: 02/07/21 12:09 UTC by ctom »
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Shaunm81

• Lunker
Re: Got cold?
« Reply #1 on: 02/07/21 15:26 UTC »
Whoa sounds mighty nippy up your way.  Those look really good and nice work.  I  need to get that little mold soon I've been thinking about it.

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 02/07/21 15:30 UTC »
I am in Michigan and when I got up at  5:45 it was -7   here ,,,
 No bait making for me til its above 30 !!
 Those ice baits look real good !

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 02/08/21 07:08 UTC »
Tom, You ever fish them in the summer; on a ice jig; under a bobber? I've done good with that rig in the middle of summer as the sun was going down.

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 02/08/21 07:13 UTC »
Great looking baits. I can't imagine temps like that. We've doing a lot of business with the Hurricane clean up guys. Quite a few are from up north and they are talking about working and logging in -50 degree temps. They laugh when I look at them in horror.  :o

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 02/08/21 07:43 UTC »
With this being the home of Mayo Clinic over the years I've been asked by southern visitors how we get used to the cold. We don't get "used" to it or accustomed to it, we adapt to it.

Gary....I use these often during the summer on a good sunfish bite hung on a 1/64 collarless ballhead fished under a small float.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 02/08/21 13:42 UTC »
And here I am complaining about the 30 degree morning I had today  :P  I don't know how you do it, Tom.  Neither of my parents are originally from the south but this boy has southern bones and I can't stand the cold!

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 02/08/21 14:05 UTC »
I filled bird feeders this morning with the temp at -3 in my sweatshirt. Then I had to stuff suet into my birch log feeder in the work room [insulated but no heat this morning] which was at 28 degrees, again in the sweatshirt. I swear some people see a thermometer and get the chills if its not in the 80's. I'm not as good with cold as I was before meds but I still handle cold well.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 02/08/21 14:12 UTC »
We just don't experience the cold often enough or for long enough to ever build up any tolerance to it.  The same way you handle the cold is similar to me being able to handle that late July/August heat here in Alabama where we get to enjoy weeks of 95-105 temps with high humidity making everything more or less miserable.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: 02/08/21 14:38 UTC »
Yesterday we had a high of 8 degrees but it only dropped to 5 overnight so much better than it could have been.  Right now it is about 10 with a light snow.  Me and my arthritis can hardly wait for warmer temps.  In the meantime I am gonna play with my baits.
I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #10 on: 02/08/21 16:38 UTC »
5 hear and -6 over night but has - teens early am
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #11 on: 02/14/21 09:33 UTC »
We're on a run here for the most consecutive days with record "coldest" high daily temps. Today should be another as well as Monday. We've already dumped three or four in a row, all below zero for the high daily temps where the old records were all above zero. The Vikings suck but our winter weather can sure score.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #12 on: 02/14/21 11:18 UTC »
We're on a run here for the most consecutive days with record "coldest" high daily temps. Today should be another as well as Monday. We've already dumped three or four in a row, all below zero for the high daily temps where the old records were all above zero. The Vikings suck but our winter weather can sure score.

Vikings Fan !!    I would like to say I "was "  a Vikings fan from the beginning but I was only 1  when they started in 1961. So started to be a fan probably  late 60s...
 But just can not take it any more  :-[ ,,  the Herschal  Walker trade ,,, the Falcons in the NFC champ game,, Brett Favr interception in the NFC champ game,, just to mention a few of the bad things !! There have been tons of them .. The QB they have now cost way to much $$  ,, had to let 1/2 the good defense go to pay him..  On and On and On ..   Sorry for the rant ,

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #13 on: 02/14/21 12:09 UTC »
Sorry for the rant ,

Ha! You should hear me when I see that sap come out on the field, meaning Cousins.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline Bass Boys

• Kicker
« Reply #14 on: 02/14/21 13:18 UTC »
 There are issues  some where, 5 offensive  coordinators in 6 years !!!!!!! 
 Is Zimmer the issue with O- Coaches ????? 
 WTH   !!
 Cousins,, yeah problem also ..
 Now we are way over the new smaller cap .
 need O-Line,,  and D ..