Author Topic: Salt water mojo jigs  (Read 4529 times)

Offline catsmeow

• Minnow
Salt water mojo jigs
« on: 01/26/18 09:56 UTC »
Want to make 12, 24 32 oz mojo rigs for trolling stripers in Raritain Bay NJ. Anyone know of any youtube videos for making these jigs. Especially looking for how to attach a swinging hook to the jig and all the details in their creation. Have made many salewater jigs but this will be a new venture. Any help appreciated... Walt.
ps: fish raritain bay and sandy hook areas in new jersey.

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
Re: Salt water mojo jigs
« Reply #1 on: 01/26/18 22:03 UTC »
Why so big?
That's huge especially for trolling.
In most cases downriggers and smaller baits would be a much better option.
I make jigs to 48oz but where I live we have the worlds second highest tides.
I don't make/use the big ones for trolling.
Just vertical jigging.
I really can't see a trolling scenario for such a large jig.
You'll need at least a 50# pot and 4# ladle minimum. Plus a good burner.
The mold will be custom cut and most likely in the $200-$300 range.
« Last Edit: 01/26/18 23:34 UTC by Kasilofchrisn »

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 01/26/18 22:22 UTC »
You'll also need a custom fluid bed if you want to powder paint them.
And paint lots of it. Buy it by the pound not the 2oz plastic jars.
The hooks simply attach via split rings.
There may be an option depending on how Shawn cuts your mold to put the hook on the eye but that is not preffered as you can't change hooks without recasting the jig.
I only use SS eyes. If they fit I use the long versions.
I don't know of any Youtube videos but they are easy to make. 
At least for me but I have the right equipment and tools.
« Last Edit: 01/26/18 23:38 UTC by Kasilofchrisn »

Offline catsmeow

• Minnow
« Reply #3 on: 01/28/18 09:20 UTC »
Thanks for the replies. Those size mojo's are the ticket to trolling up stripers in Raritan Bay between staten island ny and nj. Have powder coated a lot of jigs with fluid beds i have made. Yes will have to up size of fluid beds and volume of powder for these size jigs. See a jig on with cavities for 16, 24, and 32 oz jigs for $175. Seems like a good price. Does anyone a source for stick on eyes and what hook would be correct for each size jig. Also need a source for 9" paddle tail swim shads. Hope to have jigs made for this spring striper run
 Any help greatly appreciated.... Walt

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 01/28/18 11:58 UTC »
Stick on eyes I buy from Barlows tackle.
They have good prices and great customer service. Plus all the sizes you will need.
Not sure on hook sizes.
It would be best to compare hooks against a finished jig and sized for the fish species.
Our Halibut get to 300+ pounds and 20 pounds is considered to be an average size.
So I use bigger hooks on some of my jigs than you might use.
I'm curious as to your fishing technique as that is a huge jig for trolling!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Offline catsmeow

• Minnow
« Reply #5 on: 01/29/18 10:08 UTC »
Hey Kasilofchrism thanks for the feedback. I will be trolling water from about 50' to 20'. The technique is to drop the mojo to the bottom start to troll at 2.5 to 3.5 knots, drop the jig down again to bottom. This should keep you just off the bottom. If you are hitting botttom crank up a little. Popular is to use a 3 way swivel attach heavy mojo on bottom with 4' to 5' leader. Then off the other 3 way connect either a mojo half the size of the bottom mojo or a deep diving plug like a streach 30 or bomber 30. You need to watch your bottom depth to adjust. Reports say it is a killer setup for stripers..... Walt

Offline Kasilofchrisn

• Kicker
« Reply #6 on: 01/31/18 11:36 UTC »
We call that back bouncing up here not trolling.
Guess thats why I was confused.
Our trolling is completely different. We troll in the traditional manner using down riggers.
Hopefully you can make it work for you.
Good Luck!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/31/18 13:31 UTC »
I can't imagine anything on the end of a line that weighs 2 pounds other than a fish.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline Reddrum

• Minnow
« Reply #8 on: 02/10/18 09:11 UTC »
did lots of stripper fishing years ago with mojos. look down south in VA you will find lots of mojos for good price. there striper fishing has almost stopped but if you really  want to copy look at sand molds that much hot lead will melt the silicone mold. you also need a big pot 20 lb or better. look for old lead pipe pots they pour a lot of lead from top really nice or ladle but are hard to fine . the aluminum molds are nice ,find some one with a c&c router and take it to them but this coast a lot of money. beast way to paint is dipping get a good primmer and go best eyes you can find are in doll shop.