Author Topic: Looking for good glitter  (Read 1897 times)

Offline TomBoy Baits

• Minnow
    • TomBoy Baits
Looking for good glitter
« on: 09/29/21 15:06 UTC »
Hi y’all… I was just wondering if y’all could suggest a few diff places to get good glitter that will hold up to the heat and solvent…. I had some in my craft stuff that came from the big WM place (don’t know if it’s ok to say the name of it lol) (hint: the Grizwald’s went there on their first VACATION lol) any who, the kind I had from there is a real fader lol no good… so maybe a HOBBY store where ppl get HOBBY stuff 😉 would their store brand glitter be ok to use…… I just want to get some that won’t fade and all that mess lol I’m still very new at this hobby/ADDICTION lol thanks in advance for any suggestions y’all can send my way! Yalls help is always very much appreciated!!!!
PS- I sent my first order out to Minnesota yesterday! Yay!
Thanks again y’all!!!
Beth (AKA TomBoy Baits)
Just a plain jane country girl that's in love with BASS fishing and BAIT making! TomBoy Baits is my brand! I make UNIQUE baits that are not your grandfather's type of baits! Remember TomBoy Baits.. Because there's nothing wrong with being DIFFERENT!

Offline Apdriver

• Lunker
Re: Looking for good glitter
« Reply #2 on: 09/29/21 17:53 UTC »
Beth, heat resistant polyester glitter is what you want and many craft store glitters, as you know, aren’t heat resistant. Of course Do it has good glitter and colorant. Most any of your bait making supply houses will handle the glitter you seek.

Offline OIR

• Keeper
« Reply #3 on: 10/05/21 17:50 UTC »

Offline senkosam

• Kicker
« Reply #4 on: 03/02/22 23:00 UTC »
I could send samples. pm me.

Offline Canga~

• Kicker
« Reply #5 on: 03/31/22 20:08 UTC »
most of the glitter from the lure making companies is good stuff (lureworks, lurecraft, bait plastics, etc) there are some other good ones out there as well. for instance, the gold holographic glitter from walmart's gocreate brand is the best gold glitter i have used, hold up to many many reheats and doesnt bleed like the gold hologram from lurecraft. most of the glitter meant for car painting seems to work great as well, i have tried several and havent had an issue yet, lots of them available on ebay.

Offline olsarge

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 04/01/22 14:05 UTC »
I concur with everything said so far.  I would like to add however that I sometimes use craft glitter in my soft plastics.  I line up the molds I want to shoot then heat up the plastic to the required 350.  I wait till the temp falls below 330 or so before I add the glitter.  Any plastic  i have left I consider waste but if I did my home work right there should be very little.  I will add that I usually keep my molds and injector on my griddle to keep them warm so the cooler plastic will flow smoothly ( the 330 plastic will cool even faster when the glitter hits it and gets stirred in).  I also sometimes mix it in my epoxy to coat my airbrushed crankbaits so don't throw it away, there are uses for it.

I find it incredible that I have to explain to a grown American citizen that taking a knee during the National Anthem is disrespectful.

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 04/01/22 18:49 UTC »
I have glitter from do-it, lurecraft & lurerworks but have used a lot of the craft store glitter & haven't had any problems. Once a buddy did bring me some red glitter from Dollar Tree & after adding to hot plastic & injecting when opening the molds we  had gold glitter. Needless to say after that he left the glitter purchasing up to me. :D