Author Topic: Been to the cabin....again  (Read 180 times)

Online ctom

• Lunker
Been to the cabin....again
« on: 10/04/21 18:23 UTC »
We left a week ago Sunday and returned this morning so I could get after the Lake Trout during the last week of the season. This is the largest for the week but I did catch several others along with some smaller King Salmon and a few Herring. I got four pounds of fillets off this critter....one to go on the grill and the other will get smothered in applewood smoke.

We tried chasing a few grouse to the frying pan but that wasn't near as productive as the fishing. We had some bear in the yard this trip but most were very nocturnal so pictures are not available. Only one rain day so I had several of my usual morning and afternoon walks out on the breakwater to cast. 60's and 70's made the fishing quite enjoyable.

I'm hoping to get back up at the end of the month for the herring run so I can load the smoker a couple times.

Offline Muskygary

• Lunker
Re: Been to the cabin....again
« Reply #1 on: 10/05/21 10:04 UTC »
What do you use to catch the herring on? Would like to see a picture of a couple if possible.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #2 on: 10/05/21 13:21 UTC »
Sorry Gary but no Herring pics. We catch them on the same lures we use for Trout and Salmon. Herring have soft mouths, but are tenacious fighters and can come off the hook just reeling them in. I lose more Herring to pull-offs that I actually put in the net. If I know there's an active school of Herring around where I am casting I put on a #3 spinner instead of the spoons. Herring hitting the smaller spinners generally stay on the hook better. Gold and orange is the standard Herring color.

Offline Les Young

• Kicker
« Reply #3 on: 10/05/21 19:58 UTC »
Sounds like you had a blast Tom. Congrats.

Online basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/05/21 20:16 UTC »
Great trip.

Online ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 10/05/21 20:24 UTC »
Here's last Friday's sunrise over Lake Superior.

The fishing is always great but not always productive. A major turn-over in the water put most of the Lake Trout off-shore and deep. Several fronts rolled thru which further bothered the fish. East winds were a real plague on four days so to say the fishing this trip was challenging is really an understatement. Great time though and really hoping a later trip will come together.

Online basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 10/06/21 16:15 UTC »
Nice