Author Topic: Tail spins?  (Read 960 times)

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
Tail spins?
« on: 10/11/21 04:46 UTC »
Who on here’s makes & uses tail spins in winter?

Offline bassinfool

• Lunker
Re: Tail spins?
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/21 13:53 UTC »
Make? No.  Use? You bet your butt.  Tail spin, spoons, flutter spoons can be an absolutely phenomenal way to catch fish in the winter when not much else is working.  Can also make for a long, painful day of fishing as well if the fish really don't want to play  :P  I've had fish about take the rod out of my hand they hit those baits so hard and that's a great feeling when the air temps are super cold!

Offline anyfish

• Kicker
« Reply #2 on: 10/11/21 18:23 UTC »
I use them on occasion and have one mold from Do-It that I picked up used.  I have had times when they work great and other times when they don't.  There is a great article that used to be posted to do-its page about a custom tail spin mold.  Here is a link.

https://store.do-itmolds.com/High-Tech-Tail-Spins-Simple-Modifications-Create-a-Deadly-Lure_b_12.html

I like the idea and the baits look awesome.   I'm sure you could do something similar with other styles. 

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 10/11/21 18:35 UTC »
I use make and use them, but mine are primarily used in the summer... did you have a specific question?

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
« Reply #4 on: 10/12/21 11:19 UTC »
I use make and use them, but mine are primarily used in the summer... did you have a specific question?
message sent.

Online bigjim5589

• Kicker
  • J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC
« Reply #5 on: 10/13/21 15:24 UTC »
Yep, make them & use them, but don't restrict them to colder times either.

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
« Reply #6 on: 10/13/21 19:22 UTC »
I'd like to know when is a good situation to fish them in, how deep they are the most  effective, weights,  most common ways to work them & type of places  to fish them. I fish highland lakes if that makes a difference.

Online bigjim5589

• Kicker
« Reply #7 on: 10/13/21 20:16 UTC »
Les, I replied to your PM.  I primarily fish them like tossing a spinnerbait or crankbait, but have also fished them vertically. I don't think there's any right or wrong way to use them. I prefer them for deeper water situations, at least 10' deep, but have fished them in water as shallow as 2 feet. Them & the Zonar/vibrator blade type lures are good for cold water, but as I had said, I don't restrict them to only cold water conditions.

As far as weights, I think that's dependent on the water being fished, depths and if there's current. We used them in the Chesapeake for Stripers, and might be fishing water that was 50' deep, and what weight was best, depended on how deep the fish were and how fast we wanted to lure to get down to them and if the tides were moving.

IMO, if fishing from a boat, a yoyo type of sharp up & down retrieve can be deadly, even in cold water, but sometimes you will need to move them slower and barely make the blade spin.

I've never fished anywhere that had steep ledge walls, closest thing to that type of fishing was casting near the bridge on the Chesapeake, but these lures can be great where you let them fall near a bluff wall if you have that type of lake. Sometimes Stripers will get very tight to bridge pilings and not want to chase a lure, so these will get bites when they get like that.

Many folks use them for White Bass, and I've never fished anywhere that White Bass existed, but have caught many white & yellow perch on them too.

I read an article many years ago about some guys who caught huge LM & SM bass on the Potomac in the winter on blade lures and these tailspinners. I never got to try it there, and even the Potomac is fairly shallow, but does have some deeper places. They were doing a lot of vertical fishing, which meant that they had to find the deep holes.

Offline efishnc

• Lunker
« Reply #8 on: 10/14/21 06:26 UTC »
Jim-

I also use multiple blades on many of my spins... I just think it makes a better looking bait.

Online bigjim5589

• Kicker
« Reply #9 on: 10/14/21 19:49 UTC »
Jim-

I also use multiple blades on many of my spins... I just think it makes a better looking bait.

I agree with you, and like fishing spinnerbaits with multiple blades, there's a time & place for it too. I'll certainly fish them with single blades, but it never made much sense to me to only make them & fish them with the singles. 

I tried 3 blades too on some, but the tail wire needs to be rather long to do that, and they get bent up too easily, unless you go to a much stouter wire.

Offline Les Young

• Lunker
« Reply #10 on: 10/15/21 08:54 UTC »
Thanks guys that helps a lot.