Author Topic: A little luck thru ice...  (Read 2312 times)

Offline ctom

• Lunker
A little luck thru ice...
« on: 01/08/21 09:00 UTC »
Given the mild temps recently a buddy and I have been crawling out on ice looking for some fun to happen. I have breathing issues with cold air but the temps of late have allowed me to get out and enjoy some of the outside stuff plus I got new boots that thus far have been super for traction on even glare ice so falls are minimized.

On Monday we slipped into a couple backwater areas and marked plenty of fish but managed only one small rock bass. Judging by the amount of crap on the ice and swiss cheese looking ice surface in most of the areas we searched I'd say the resident fish have been plucked ad the rest of the winter will be pretty much just going thru the actions of angling without much success.

Yesterday [Thursday] we hit the big river itself at Lake City. Where we fished there was a major ice heave about fifty yards off shore. On the shore side of the heave we found about 8" of clear ice with scattered areas of snow pack. On the lake side of the heave we had between 3" and 4" of decent ice. We fished anywhere from 20 feet to 33 feet. I managed 4 sauger and a perch from the 20 foot water inside the heave, nothing from the deeper water. All fish were released, mostly due to their being short  for what I consider a keeper fish to be.

I haven't been on ice to fish for maybe ten years but its amazing how quickly one can recall what to do. About 15 minutes into the expedition it seemed like the last time I ice fished was the day before.

I have some flutter spoons laid out to foil and give a shot of paint, maybe eyes even, and then seal so we have more of an assortment of baits next week when we plan to lay an assault on the ice and fish again.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
but the best ships are friendships
and may they
always be ......An Irish Toast

Offline ctom

• Lunker
Re: A little luck thru ice...
« Reply #1 on: 01/12/21 15:49 UTC »
We hit it again on Monday and had similar luck to the first trip on the big river. I gave the Crappie Fluke and half hour while the fish were hitting a Flutter Spoon but theyignored it so I went back to the Flutter Spoon. 4 walleyes and three nice perch. All went back for another day.

I foiled the 1/4 ounce  Flutter Spoons I had cast up [3]. The gold foil with an orange stripe was productive as was a gold foil with a purple stripe. Along the edge of each bait near the hook hanger I added a small glow dot to each jig. Something larger than the walleyes snapped one of the lures off.

I's sure like the designers come up with a mold to make a couple 1/8 ounce and a couple 1/4 ounce Flutter Spoons and another that does a three 1/16 ounce and three 1/8 ounce. These Flutter Spoons just seem to be walleye food regardless of the brand but I think a couple smaller sizes would get the attention of crappies a bit better.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #2 on: 01/12/21 20:08 UTC »
Glad you got out. Spent another week in the hospital but I’m home now.
May your days be filled with sun shine and you always have a tight line. AMEN

Offline Lines

• Lunker
« Reply #3 on: 01/12/21 20:16 UTC »
Way to go ctom.

Glad you got out. Spent another week in the hospital but I’m home now.
More prayers going out for you Walleye Wacker, hang in there man!
« Last Edit: 01/12/21 20:19 UTC by Lines »

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #4 on: 01/12/21 23:20 UTC »
Thanks Lines.

Offline basscatlildave

• Lunker
« Reply #5 on: 01/13/21 06:51 UTC »
Good deal Tom. Y'all be careful out there on that hard water.
Walleye Wacker praying for you a good recovery.

Offline WALLEYE WACKER

• Lunker
    • WALLEYE WACKER
« Reply #6 on: 01/13/21 09:24 UTC »
Thanks Dave

Offline ctom

• Lunker
« Reply #7 on: 01/18/21 14:25 UTC »
One perch about 12" today. Things changed overnight weather-wise. Temps in the low teens when we hi the ice on Lake Pepin with a stiff 20 mph blow going. We put down two set lines and jigged the other two rods, but a major cold front defeated us pretty much. We set up where lots of others have been fishing but were the only ones out until about 10 this morning, then a couple random peeps wandered out and set up camp.

We've greed to hit it again later this week when the cold has gone to the east and south and things moderate a bit. I fished four different colors of the 1/4 ounce flutter spoons however the spoons were too aggressive for the fish. Another day, another try....if its warmer. Feet and hands stayed warm but the lungs did NOT like that cold wind at all.
There are good ships
and wood ships
ships that sail the sea
and may they